The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
System of a Down's raw guitar/bass sound Electric Guitar Amplification
Old 28th January 2014
Lives for gear

System of a Down's raw guitar/bass sound

Hey, Sylvia. Can you give some insight on Daron and Shavo's rig and how you recorded it? Amps, pedals, guitars, mics, pres, etc?

On that first album the guitar and bass breakup so much and in a way I've never heard before. The haven't done that on an album since. How in the hell did you do it?
Old 28th January 2014
Gear interested

Guitars on SOAD

Hi Sylvia

To me the guitars on the first System record are some of the chunkiest if heard to date. I've always wondered how they were tracked, what gear was used etc...

That record really stands out sonically to me.

Thanks

Ben
Old 30th January 2014
Radiant Being

System Of A Down's Guitar Set-Up Details

From the System sessions, Daron was an organic, guitar-into-amp kinda guy, with as little extra as possible. Les Paul and SG Gibsons were go-to guitars, and he started to use an Ibanez Iceman in the studio. The amps were mostly Marshalls, with the focus on the Marshall JCM800. Pretty standard equipment, really. Daron's explosive style of playing was what made the performances so special.

We recorded most of the guitars at Rick Rubin's home studio on his sweet little Neve 8068. I brought in racks of my own processing, and used my "Army Man' compressor on most of the guitars (that is my secret weapon!). I've drawn a diagram of the set-up:
System of a Down's raw guitar/bass sound-systemguitar.jpg
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

That is a really great drawing!
Old 30th January 2014
Dude! Informational cartoon recreations. That's actually super useful as a visual learner. More people should do that.
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

summed to tape as one track. commitment. awesome.
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

Hi Sylvia!!!

I like your artwork

Thanks!

-Joe
Old 31st January 2014
Here for the gear
I am curious how you avoided phasing issues with this setup. Were the amps in separate iso booths and/or was it a combination of precise mike placement?
Old 31st January 2014
Gear Nut

great, so you recorded directly to tape? or was a ad - computer - da conversion (for editing) in between?
thx for the diagram, really nice painting skills
Old 31st January 2014
Lives for gear

Thank you, Sylvia! Just a follow up. What is causing the guitar/bass to sound like it's actually tearing your speakers apart? Is that just crazy speaker cone distortion that you picked up?

I build guitar effects, amps, and pro audio equipment. There isn't a fuzz box or guitar amp that I've seen that makes that sound. Think "Know" on the first album.
Old 1st February 2014
Gear Guru

I love the drawing.
Old 1st February 2014
Lives for gear

Can I ask you how and why you use a compressor on distorted electric guitars ?

Thanks for doing this Q&A by the way !
Old 3rd February 2014
RiF
Lives for gear

Sylvia, I love the drawing. Especially the Iceman!
Old 3rd February 2014
Gear nut
I don't have a question but Sylvia, you did an amazing job with this album!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search