The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
One room studio spaces
Old 1st August 2016
Lives for gear

One room studio spaces

Sylvia, thanks for doing this, and the previous QA! I cant wait to receive my copy of your book, for some reason its held up at the Canadian/US border... haha.

My question is, you seem to employ studio spaces that are all one room - not the more traditional live room/control room setup. It totally makes sense that its a huge plus for communication between artist and engineer/producer, but do you feel that it can be compromise in getting sounds and doing things like checking phase on the fly?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 4th August 2016
Open Room Recording

"Open room recording" is better for me, mainly because I'm always hooking up some kind of contraption and studios usually don't have enough tie-lines so I'm having to run cables under doors and such. I like to set up a mic and run the cable directly into the patchbay, or plug an external mic pre directly into the back of the recorder, or console or rack. I like to set up the vocal mic right next to me while I'm recording vocals so I can grab and harass the singer if I need to. I like to yell across the room and be heard if the talkbacks are not yet set up on a session. Or just yell at an assistant to frickin' do something right. I will start throwing chairs if I have to push my way through multiple lead doors to save a $20,000 vintage tube mic from being hooked up incorrectly. And most control rooms are not big enough for all the crap I like to play with.

Plus, if you free yourself from the idea of having a control room, pretty much anywhere can become a studio.

It does take getting used to though. You have to wear headphones a lot. I must have loud and detailed headphones so I can hear what is going on over the din in the room. Here is a bit about the headphones and headphone system I use:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-sy...l#post12055193

I have gotten very good at recognizing phase differences in drum mics with headphones. I mono the individual mics on a kit and compare two at a time to judge the phase relationships. It takes time, and I usually have the drummer (or assistant if they can play drums) play a simple, steady beat for about 8 minutes while I quickly go through my phase check. Mainly concentrating on kick, snare and overhead mics.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search