The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is the Potato Filter?
Old 23rd July 2016
Gear Head

What is the Potato Filter?

I've been keeping up with some of your social media and I was curious on how you set up the potato filter and what does it do? I am a big fan and thanks! -Chris D.

View most liked answer
Old 6th August 2016
Radiant Being

During a breakfast roundtable at Mix With The Masters this spring, we discussed how you can power a small clock by using a potato. So, why couldn't you use a potato to drive a speaker cabinet? We had to try it!!! With the help of the workshop attendees, I cut a standard speaker wire in half and inserted a pair of potatoes in line. One potato for the positive side and one potato for the negative side. Just jabbed the wires into them. Then we connected our potato-modified speaker cable between a Marshall head and a 4x12 cabinet and tried to play a guitar through it. Unfortunately the Marshall tube amp kept blowing fuses even though our ohmage measurements showed that it would work. But we did not give up. It was not until we tried the solid state amplifier that our experiment worked. Here is a video of our potato filter triumph.

https://youtu.be/uLmP_7w-y0U

What does it sound like? To answer that, Mike Fradis from Waves and I spent a day re-creating the potato filter and trying other items inserted into the speaker cable, taking detailed measurements and documenting the effect to the audio signal.

In general, these were our findings:

Potatoes: attenuation and a slight high frequency shelving.
Apples, bananas, carrots, oranges: Different levels of attenuation, depending on the size of the item with light high pass filtering.
Hot dog: Very flat response with attenuation. Slicing the hot dogs in half will reduce the amount of attenuation. We were very impressed with the hot dogs.

Interesting, you say? Well that was only the beginning. Mike Fradis and I also set up a series of experiments running the speaker lines through various power tools and kitchen appliances. This was something Ed Cherney suggested I try. Basically the idea is to cut the cord off a powered drill and connect the speaker cable to run audio through the drill. Amazingly when you hit the right notes, the drill will start up, being powered entirely by the audio. And what a crazy sound that is! I've used this technique while recording guitar solos. The sound of the guitar is full of whirring and grinding sounds as the motors are running. You can try it with blenders, hair dryers, jigsaws, vacuum cleaners. Different motors have different characters. I've now built a jig so it is simple and non destructive to change out different motors.

I will add a video of our motor set-up. Stay tuned!
Attached Thumbnails
What is the Potato Filter?-img_1672.jpg   What is the Potato Filter?-13221633_10156836749225024_6864129538451760555_n.jpg  
Old 6th August 2016
Lives for gear

Yams?
Old 6th August 2016
Gear Head

Many thanks and love for your reply! You rock!! -Chris D.
Old 7th August 2016
Here for the gear
You can run the signals through a person too. We discovered this possibly dangerous approach messing around in college.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search