The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Modern Vocoders?
Old 13th December 2016
Here for the gear

Modern Vocoders?

First off, you are amazing and thanks for doing this

I noticed the fantastic analog vocoder you had in your "voice box" rack. Do you still use vocoders and if so have you found any modern hard or soft vocoders that you enjoy using?

Old 18th December 2016
Suzanne Ciani

Hello and thanks for your question!

In the day, I used a Bode Vocoder. Harald Bode modified it for me so that the high frequencies of my voice, those above the bandwidth of the vocoder filters, could pass through directly, giving more "life" to the sound...I think that feature became part of the normal design afterwards. I used the vocoder on all my early recordings: even though I can't sing a note, I loved the feminine quality that using the vocoder gave the sustained textures...you can hear it clearly on every track of Seven Waves and The Velocity of Love. I don't find myself using vocoders now...I did do some exploration several years ago, but didn't find anything I thought came close to the Bode. Please let me know, though, if you find anything! For pure vocal effects, perhaps a simple processor would be fine...I recently saw someone using a little Korg box (not sure what it was....) to great effect...But for other uses, like modulating textures with drum patterns, the vocoder is amazing.

Best,
Suzanne
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search