The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The New Language
Old 3rd December 2016
Lives for gear

The New Language

Morton Subotnick famously eschewed traditional keyboards on synthesizers because he reasoned that electronic instruments were an opportunity to create a whole new language. Seems you might be somewhat in agreement though I've seen inexplicable videos of you playing piano in what can only be described as a traditional if jejune manner.

Care to expand on this?
Old 4th December 2016
Suzanne Ciani

Hmmmm...I don't think playing the piano is inexplicable...and though apparently my piano music does not speak to you in any profound way, I assure you I find it very satisfying. And piano playing is not to be confused with attaching a traditional keyboard to an electronic music instrument. A traditional mechanical keyboard is indeed an inappropriate interface for a Buchla and I have no need for such keyboards in my Buchla performances. In fact, to make that clear, I definitively gave up even touching a piano during my early years of devotion to electronics. Now I find myself in two worlds that don't touch really, except for the compositional concepts that they share. I find that I bring some electronic consciousness to my writing for piano and some classical background to my work with the Biuchla. Thanks you for your observations!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search