The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tips for writing music and improvising?
Old 1st December 2016
Tips for writing music and improvising?

Hi Suzanne, I have another question please:

Do you have any tips regarding writing songs, or setting up structures to improvise music using an instrument like a modular synthesizer? Did you develop any methods in combining melodies and patterns on the fly on your 200 system? I'm trying to find out how you put ideas into practice.
Did you change these methods now, since your current instrument has patch memory, and if that is the case; in what way?

Thank you!
Old 3rd December 2016
Suzanne Ciani

Hi! Thanks for your question. Do youb know about the "cookbook"that was included in the Finders Keepers release of Buchla Concerts 1975? It explains how I organize and play the Buchla live. Maybe I can post this paper someplace for people to find.
But yes, there are quite a few modular techniques that I use that are sequencer-based. So the sequencer pitches become the "raw material" for further manipulations. Maybe I take a row of pitches and change the 8ve range of various notes randomly, so that new melodies in various ranges start to come out. Or maybe I use a random CV to alter the waveshape of the oscillator playing the sequence and that, too, will bring out new melodies. I use the clone of he Multiple Arbitrary Function Generator but you could also use a random sample and hold for the waveshape modulations or an arpeggiator for the octave transpositions. Randomness is a good ingrediant.
Old 4th December 2016
thank you. yes, I've read about the "cookbook", couldn't find it, and would love to read it.
Old 4th December 2016
Lives for gear

I would as well.
Old 5th December 2016
Great, yes, exactly like you said, it's the movement that matters..more people in the eurorack should be talking about these sort of things rather than comparing saws of different oscillators on an oscilloscope..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevwave View Post
Hi! Thanks for your question. Do youb know about the "cookbook"that was included in the Finders Keepers release of Buchla Concerts 1975? It explains how I organize and play the Buchla live. Maybe I can post this paper someplace for people to find.
But yes, there are quite a few modular techniques that I use that are sequencer-based. So the sequencer pitches become the "raw material" for further manipulations. Maybe I take a row of pitches and change the 8ve range of various notes randomly, so that new melodies in various ranges start to come out. Or maybe I use a random CV to alter the waveshape of the oscillator playing the sequence and that, too, will bring out new melodies. I use the clone of he Multiple Arbitrary Function Generator but you could also use a random sample and hold for the waveshape modulations or an arpeggiator for the octave transpositions. Randomness is a good ingrediant.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search