The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
modern process
Old 27th November 2016
Gear Nut

modern process

Suzanne, thanks for doing this! I have been a fan for a long time and find myself going back to your work when I hit a wall or have that moment when I realize there are too many diversions going on in a piece of music (either my own music or someone I am working with's) which brings me to my question...

Undoubtedly, there are so many more instant options and possibilities available now as compared to when something like your 1975 concerts were made. Do you find this empowering or stifling? Do you set limitations going into a composition (this has been my most effective tactic)? And the question that haunts every artist, what are your criteria for knowing when something is done?

again thanks for doing this, and thanks for the fairly stout stack of records that I have gone back to like text books for a number of years.
Old 29th November 2016
Suzanne Ciani

Hi Brian,

Actually, I find the new system, i.e. Buchla 200e, in some ways more limiting that than the 200. The 200 had no memory, so performing was a kind of well-rehearsed choreography to transition from one situation to another. My favorite module was the MARF, Multiple Arbitrary Function Generator, which allowed matrixing of 4 sequencer rows. The "equivalent" module now is the DARF, Dual Arbitrary Function Generator, and it is a bit less performable and a bit less powerful for several reasons. If you get the LP version of the 1975 concerts, there is a "cookbook" in there that explains how the performance was done, more or less....My pieces now are live-performed, because that is what I'm doing now, lie performance. I know when it's done when I feel like stopping...and I usually come back to the opening idea, i.e. waves, to signal the closing. It is very intense performing the Buchla live and I don't try to overdo it...Limitations are absolutely necessary, whether it's the limitations of the patch you've chosen, i.e. the configuration of the patch cords, and also the "raw material," i.e., for me, some set of sequencer rows. Today I am using the exact same rows I used in 1975 and which are outlined in the paper included in the LP from 1975...Thanks for your question...
Old 29th November 2016
Gear Nut

thanks for your thorough reply! I do have that LP with the cookbook. it was a great bonus to find in there.

I wasn't specifically talking about the Buchla or anything technical, I was just talking about making music today with all of the instant options available versus yesterday when things took a bit more preparation and you were tied to some more limitations but this gives some great insights. thanks
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search