The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
composing
Old 25th November 2016
Lives for gear

composing

I have been a fan of yours since I first discovered “Velocity” over 30 years ago, and I loved your solo concert at the Throckmorton Theatre, which I was fortunate to have attended. Thank you for the music.

You have composed music in both New York City and the Bay Area (where I live) - two very different environments. I’ve worked with both Doug Harman and Jeremy Cohen. One of them once described to me your “piano room” (I don’t know what else to call it) overlooking the ocean in Bolinas. Could not get much more different than NYC.

So, my question is: How would you describe the effect these two differing environments have had on your music?
Old 29th November 2016
Suzanne Ciani

Thank you for this thoughtful and informed question.

In New York, I longed for the peacefulness of the sea and so created peaceful wave-like music. In California, I sleep with the sound of the waves but often miss the synergistic energy of the city. I guess it's all about balance. But I've always traveled to write and create, because no matter what space one is in, it gets "contaminated" (perhaps too strong a word) with the plights of daily life... and in order to enter the "bubble" of creativity, one needs to detach from daily exigencies...

Stop the phone, stop the email, stop the social visits...go where no one knows you and be....
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search