The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What are your favorite speakers/monitors to compose with ?
Old 4th September 2016
Lives for gear
What are your favorite speakers/monitors to compose with ?

What are your favorite monitors to compose with ?
Old 8th September 2016
Special Guest

Quote:
What are your favorite monitors to compose with ?
I have been using the Mackie HR 824's since they came out, I have them in 3 different rooms. It's what I know and trust.
I also have a set of ProAC studio 100s. These are smaller high resolution non powered speakers that are great for imaging and detail.
In my live room I have a PA setup by FBT - an Italian company, Here I can push the volume to the outer edges and beyond - bone marrow saturation. I do a lot of programming and sound design on this system. For the live impact I need to feel whats there on a robust live sound system including 18 inch Subs. This also inspires me to carve dynamic live pieces in the studio that I can refine back in the main room, keeping the visceral energy there that comes from carving at volume. Most of Skeleton Keys my recent .COM based modular based sequencer driven release was recorded like this.
Old 13th September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Roach View Post
I have been using the Mackie HR 824's since they came out, I have them in 3 different rooms. It's what I know and trust.
I also have a set of ProAC studio 100s. These are smaller high resolution non powered speakers that are great for imaging and detail.
In my live room I have a PA setup by FBT - an Italian company, Here I can push the volume to the outer edges and beyond - bone marrow saturation. I do a lot of programming and sound design on this system. For the live impact I need to feel whats there on a robust live sound system including 18 inch Subs. This also inspires me to carve dynamic live pieces in the studio that I can refine back in the main room, keeping the visceral energy there that comes from carving at volume. Most of Skeleton Keys my recent .COM based modular based sequencer driven release was recorded like this.
brilliant thanks for the answer - deffo know what you mean by testing on a big PA as well. Thanks for the info onthe Mackie Hr 824 - I will be referencing your patronage of them as ammo in pointless internet arguments (obviously only kidding) - keep up the great work !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search