The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your Favorite Music
Old 3rd September 2016
Here for the gear

Your Favorite Music

Hello Mr. Roach.

I just wanted to say thank you for your inspiring music. I'm the proud owner of many of your works. I'm still happily buying things you made 20 years ago. You produce quality music at a rate that exceeds my ability to adequately absorb it while absorbing other music from many genres.

I'm a huge fan of Ambient and all the sub genres it broadly contains. There are many high quality Ambient artists. IMO, you share the Ambient Throne with a handful of people.

As a fairly competent synthesist, I don't have any questions about your gear or how you do things. Instead, I would like to know what you think about other artists.

I kindly ask you to name your top 5 favorite Ambient artists. I assume and hope you listen to other forms of music. If so, please name your Top 5 "other genre" artists.

Thank you for dedicating your life to the exploration of sound.
Old 7th September 2016
Lives for gear

Smile Ambient Influences (or none)

Thank you for taking my question, Mr. Roach! I am a big fan. I regularly play "Structures From Silence" (remastered) and "Quiet Music" when I perform formal tea ceremonies and they never fail to put my guests into a introspective, receptive place (the former best for evenings, the latter, mornings).

My question is about influences. The studio landscape is infinite, each synth gives so much endless entertainment and possibility. Do you listen to the work of other ambient artists and peers for inspiration/comparison or do you find that your process works best when you isolate yourself from what others are doing and concentrate on your own journey alone?

You will certainly be viewed by history as one of the greats in the genre of "ambient", as will Brian Eno. How do you view your work in light of his? If I had you both on my desert island, I would be perfectly content for the duration.

Thank you for all the replies you've already given in this Q&A. I have been so inspired!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search