The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
On This Planet
Old 1st September 2016
Gear Maniac

On This Planet

"On This Planet" changed my life. It was my first exposure to your music (via Echoes) and the first Steve Roach CD that I ever bought. I have listened to this cd in the late night/early morning hours so much it feels like a part of my very existence. I have always been fascinated by the concept that this was a "live" album yet was recorded in the studio. I was just wondering how you were able to embrace the "live and in the moment" experience AND energy while recording in the comfort of your own studio surrounded by familiar gear and hardware setup (etc). It doesn't really matter, though. This is one of my "desert island" recordings. Thanks for your artistic endeavors, Steve.
Old 15th September 2016
Special Guest

Quote:
On This Planet" changed my life. It was my first exposure to your music (via Echoes) and the first Steve Roach CD that I ever bought. I have listened to this cd in the late night/early morning hours so much it feels like a part of my very existence. I have always been fascinated by the concept that this was a "live" album yet was recorded in the studio. I was just wondering how you were able to embrace the "live and in the moment" experience AND energy while recording in the comfort of your own studio surrounded by familiar gear and hardware setup (etc). It doesn't really matter, though. This is one of my "desert island" recordings. Thanks for your artistic endeavors, Steve.

Thank you for this feedback, I never take for granted the power of the music and sound and your feeling on this music feeds the creative fires that are burning all the time within me.
On This Planet is a hybrid recording. The main movements were created live in several concerts and then taken into the studio where I continued to expanded, enhance and build the complete journey into what you hear. This approach of capturing a moment in time, where everything comes into focus applies to creating in the studio or out on the stage. Its a constant in all my work. In the live setting my set up is extensive, as anyone can tell you who has seen and heard me live. It seems no matter how I try to minimized the set up I still need to have a 32 channel board that I hover over along with the synths and machines and effects. This is the interface I use to channel this energy into the music. I need this main arsenal of instruments and hardware processors that are central to my sound, this quality of sound and its impact at concert volume is big part of what compels me to play live. Before a run of concerts I will start about a month out from the date. The set will go through many permutations through the process of preparing.

Is not really about rehearsing but more about creating maps of trajectories of how I imagine a set to build. This comes from long sessions in the live mode, hours of extended periods of playing, quite intoxicating. As the set takes form, I am also sharpening my sense of the spontaneous and experimentation. Its important to be aware of not over prepping, Eventually I can feel when the set morphs into this living form, I know its ready.
All of this is an immense amount of work, mental physical, and then the breaking down of the gear for travel. That’s all up to me, I don't have assistants in this department, I always compare it to packing your own parachute. Something you are better off doing yourself, knowing this when you go to step out of the plane.

When preparing for concerts at my studio live room the anticipation and energy is already building as I am constructing the set. This always yields some great live in the studio tracks. While these are created alone in the studio, the approaching reality of a show is a moment that is coming towards me on the horizon. This takes everything to another level as the creative energy is boiling. The comfort of the studio fades away and it more like sitting on the runway before taking off. We all know the feeling of all the mixed emotions of going airborne, complex and filled with many aspects of entering the unknown.
These are the states that also become infused into the pieces, like your hearing within On This Planet and most recently the live releases Alive in the Vortex and Live In Tucson - Pinnacle Moments. While these latter 2 are 100% live recordings, to me the conditions are more like a studio recording with a live audience bringing a focused intensity to the space.
Also In these concerts I was able to set up a few days in advance and since the concerts were presented on 2 nights at each event I could fine tune and settle into a different kind of comfort zone after being in the performance space for a few days.
Here is a gallery from the Vortex shows in LA.
Vortex Dome Immersion Concerts 2013

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search