The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Reverbs and Depth
Old 1st September 2016
Here for the gear

Reverbs

Hello Mr.Roach.

Thanks for the Q&A.

My question is reverb related. Not much of what reverb you use, but how you use it ?
Post/pre, any other effects with reverb bus?

Thanks
Janne Hanhisuanto
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

Reverbs and Depth

Hi Steve !

Your music was one of my biggest influences since I heard for the first time "Empetus" and "Structures from Silence" a very long time ago. Two very different albums , but both really left a mark on me.
I have several questions but I'll stick to this one for now :

Reverbs . What's your take on them ? How do you craft the feeling of deep spaces and depth using reverbs ( and maybe delays ) ? What's your favorite reverb units/plugins ?

Many thanks !
Old 5th September 2016
< moderator note - questions put together - all three about reverb >
Old 17th September 2016
Special Guest

Quote:
Hello Mr.Roach.

Thanks for the Q&A.

My question is reverb related. Not much of what reverb you use, but how you use it ?
Post/pre, any other effects with reverb bus?

Thanks
Janne Hanhisuanto
Quote:
Hi Steve !

Your music was one of my biggest influences since I heard for the first time "Empetus" and "Structures from Silence" a very long time ago. Two very different albums , but both really left a mark on me.
I have several questions but I'll stick to this one for now :

Reverbs . What's your take on them ? How do you craft the feeling of deep spaces and depth using reverbs ( and maybe delays ) ? What's your favorite reverb units/plugins ?

Many thanks!
Thanks for the Questions, Also please look at Pitch, Time and Space for more on this subject.
Reverb is central to my work. I use only hardware verbs, Eventide and Lexicon on the most part. I always return the outputs back into channels on the board. Here I can EQ and shape the reverb space to where the piece demands. EQ is essential to the sound. With the verb in its own channels I can proceed to send verbs to other verbs, delays and other spacial processing. Sometimes I will use a very slight amount of stereo delay on a long verb tail, This continues to add movement and depth at a almost subliminal level. The mix between Pre and Post send is an essential piece for getting various degrees of depth and detail. This is a constant process that again changes with every piece and sometimes during the mix of the piece. While the Eventide 4000 is a go to verb I am finding its little brother the Space pedal has a a great sound no matter what the price, and its affordable. It can deliver the darker, creamy verb for the deeper end of natural tight spaces for percussion and sequencer based piece. Awhile back I was tipped off on the Strymon Big Sky which seems the have a sound that sits right in the zone I inhabit. That one has a lot of the work already done for you in terms of the depth,space and color but also has lots of options for creating your own unique spaces, which is vital.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search