The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How does the concept of Minimalism appeal to you?
Old 1st September 2016
How does the concept of Minimalism appeal to you?

Hi Steve,

this is a bit of a meta-question and I'm eager to hear your opinion about it.

I know, it's a range of questions but it's really just one in the end:

How does the concept of Minimalism appeal to you? Or what do you tell someone asking you what you like about Drone music? Is there anything specific of which you'd say "that's exactly it, this nails it for me"?

Last not least, thank you for your great body of work and taking part in this Q&A!!!

All the best,
Ronny
Old 16th September 2016
Special Guest

Quote:
Hi Steve,

this is a bit of a meta-question and I'm eager to hear your opinion about it.
I know, it's a range of questions but it's really just one in the end:
How does the concept of Minimalism appeal to you? Or what do you tell someone asking you what you like about Drone music? Is there anything specific of which you'd say "that's exactly it, this nails it for me"?

Last not least, thank you for your great body of work and taking part in this Q&A!!!

All the best,
Ronny

Thanks Ronny,

Interesting question, I will try and to answer what I feel your asking. When I am in deep end of the creative flow words are not part of the process. The sensation of immersing into the sound creation and shaping this into form takes over.

I am not concerned with what to call it or how to classify whatever it is that’s coming through at this stage.
Eventually when it comes time to let it out into the world then the challenge of finding the description or words that points to a direction comes into play. In some settings
I feel people who are drawn to this music are already on the same page and just want the direct experience and will create their own relationship with the music.

If someone is new to this kind of music I will drawn on metaphors or correlations to other art forms or occurrences in life to explain how to listen or engage with the experience I am offering.
The common terms like minimalism, ambient, drone music and the hundreds of sub genre categories offer something in a broader sense but I feel the subtle shades and contrasts in this soundscape based art thrives outside of the boundaries of trying to name it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search