The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's your thoughts on the state of Berlin School music today
Old 31st August 2016
Deleted User
What's your thoughts on the state of Berlin School music today

Hi Steve,

What's your thoughts on the state of Berlin School music today, do you think it's over-saturated with most of these modern day 'Berlin School' musicians trying too hard to sound like Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze.

Or do you think it's a good thing for them to carry on such a niche genre of electronic music ?
Old 16th September 2016
Special Guest

Quote:
Hi Steve,

What's your thoughts on the state of Berlin School music today, do you think it's over-saturated with most of these modern day 'Berlin School' musicians trying too hard to sound like Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze.
Or do you think it's a good thing for them to carry on such a niche genre of electro

I am not up to date on the current state of the Berlin School today. I have heard some releases over the years that was very much what I would call clone zone music.
Like a tracing paper copy over the top of the original. That does take a special dedication and talent. Seems like this kind of thing occurs in many genres and some artists and listeners like to hang out in the nostalgia of the classic days. This falls in the category of tribute band music reliving the glory days of Tangerine Dream, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, and now Prince for example.
I think thIs clone zone retro based music thing is in a niche of its own. It will just be there along the way as a part of what some people want.

My feeling about sequencer driven music right now is that it is a vital art form. I love this music when its reaching forward. It creates a kind of aural experience that cannot be accessed though any other form of music. That’s what my recent Skeleton Keys release is about.
With the revival and evolution of analog synths and the multitude of sequencer tools out there the time is ripe for what was considered Berlin School in EM music to keep evolving. Its up to the musicians to step out, not be looking over your shoulder and keep inventing and innovating with these instruments. If it has traces to the roots and the music is authentic and mapping new places that is all the better. Its a good idea for younger artists and those unfamiliar with the originals to hear some of the classics from the 70's – Klaus Schulze – Tangerine Dream, Ash Ra Temple and other Euro and early US EM just to hear what came before and what was created without a single midi chord or computer around.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search