The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Favourite synths?
Old 30th August 2016
Lives for gear

Favourite synths?

Hi Steve, and thank you for all the beautiful music.
I'm simply wondering what your favourite synths are and why.

Thanks!
Old 31st August 2016
Special Guest

Thanks for the appreciation on my music and essential question...

Instantly the Oberheim Xpander and its big brother the Matrix 12 are the Favorites.
The main points of what make a synth become a life time instrument for me is - #1 – the sound - emotional and warm, then the interface and how it invites work flow for creating sounds and intuitive interaction.
The build quality and feel of the keyboard if it has one.
These instruments were ahead of their time, the CV and Midi options are for right now as well, amazing for an instrument designed in 1983.
These are my original instruments I bought direct from Oberheim, the history I have with them adds to the connection.
The Xpander has been all over the world with me, Mexico, Europe, Canada the Canary Islands.
The Matrix 12 has almost never left the studio, only once for a concert in Tucson in 2005 and then last year It had to have a complete overhaul in LA, the power supply was failing and some other issues. It has a clean bill of heath now and sounds better than ever. I have a lot of people asking –what about the new OB6? Since my ears are so entrained to the original I have to say there can be only one, and it is the original Oberheims. I am sure though for newbies to the OB sound they will find the points I mentioned to be on the mark for the OB6, emotional sound , inviting interface and build quality.
Old 2nd September 2016
Lives for gear

Thank you for replying, Steve Could I ask, are there any digital synths you also hold in high esteem? Have you for example tried the Roland V-Synth? I do ambient music myself, and the V-Synth is easily my favorite tool.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search