The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Nourishments AND deserts
Old 30th August 2016
Here for the gear

Nourishments AND deserts

Hi Steve,
I've read past interviews where you talk about the creation of your soundworlds as having come from the "nourishment" of the roots of consciousness. I've also read that you draw some of your inspiration from the desert. Would you share with us some more about your creative approach? How do you initially "see" the soundworlds that you eventually create? How do you nourish your ideas along the way? How do you draw from the desert and your surroundings?
Thank you!
Old 3rd September 2016
Special Guest

Quote:
Hi Steve,
I've read past interviews where you talk about the creation of your soundworlds as having come from the "nourishment" of the roots of consciousness. I've also read that you draw some of your inspiration from the desert. Would you share with us some more about your creative approach? How do you initially "see" the soundworlds that you eventually create? How do you nourish your ideas along the way? How do you draw from the desert and your surroundings?
Thank you!
Thanks for the question, and I thought this Q and A was going to be all about gear, all the time!

My impetus and compulsion to create and live in these soundworlds emerges in same way your hunger drives you to eat, and how the body just knows to breathe. I have always had this sonic sense, since I can remember, from a young age of being hyper aware of sound both internal In my - consciousness and in the environment. As I discovered the synthesizer back in late 70's I took to it like a duck to water, it was instant and natural to start carving and shaping the raw elements of sound into something that felt in complete alignment with this internal sonic sense I am tuned into. Part of the nurturing and activating of this deeper listening occurred in my early childhood years. My parents were big into desert tent camping. I know this helped to open up my senses to the qualities of sound, listening and hearing that occurs in the desert, especially at night. As a kid I would still have this "desert" feeling after returning back home after an extended desert trips. Eventually I feel this sense took root and would not recede. The other big piece here is I am an only child, for that reason on these trips back then there would be more time of less talk. I was already comfortable and fascinated with the rich solitude these places spaces hold so the desert environment was the focus on these trips. Rock hunting, hiking, exploring some offshoot of a trail, chasing lizards. Things I still like to do now.

There is a kind of deep cleansing and calibration of the ears and sonic perceptions that occurs naturally in the desert if your attuned to it. If you find a physical place on the planet that you thrive in and are drawn towards, this can be an endless source of nourishment that feeds the creative life. 25 years of living in the Sonoran desert and for me its never taken for granted of lost its significance within me.
The desert is the land of extremes, incredible beauty, expansive views, and crimson painted skies, sensual to raging temperatures, delicate beauty, fascinating wildlife, harsh and violent storms and primordial sounds from the dawn of time, What more could an artist of sound want?!
Old 7th September 2016
Here for the gear

Thank you so much for providing such wonderful insight into this topic, Steve.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search