The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Advice to young people
Old 28th August 2016
Deleted ca98332
Advice to young people

Steve,

Congratulations on another amazing release with Shadows of Time. I listened again this morning and I'm really enjoying the recent focus on imaginary landscapes heard in this record, This Place to Be, the Bloodmoon series and especially Invisible.

First question; what advice would you give to young people who might be interested in exploring their creativity through sound and synthesizers? The available options might be overwhelming and/or finances limited, how would you help them focus their burgeoning inner fire?

Do you have any thoughts on Bandcamp? I've really enjoyed having your catalog in that ecosystem and the "cook to order" releases.

Last, what was your most memorable live performance and do you have plans for any concerts in 2017?

Thank you for your music!

Old 31st August 2016
Special Guest

Quote:
Steve,

Congratulations on another amazing release with Shadows of Time. I listened again this morning and I'm really enjoying the recent focus on imaginary landscapes heard in this record, This Place to Be, the Bloodmoon series and especially Invisible.
Duff,
Many thanks for the resonations on the recent works, your ears are wide open and finely calibrated, I can hear this in your new release The Future Of Man. Great to see you buck the current trends and release it on CD. I am all for this and will continue to release on CD until I am last man standing holding this thing in my hand for the last listener who wants it on CD. My point being is my audience still desire CD's along with all the digital options and current the vinyl fetish. They make this point known to me very clear, and I listen.

Quote:
First question; what advice would you give to young people who might be interested in exploring their creativity through sound and synthesizers? The available options might be overwhelming and/or finances limited, how would you help them focus their burgeoning inner fire?
The time has never been better for entering into sound arts. We are all so fortunate to be living in this era where the tools can be matched to the level of commitment on any budget, yes it can be overwhelming. My early recordings and the ones that still have resonance with listeners today were created on minimal-basic equipment. Coming from a working class family I had to figure out how to gather up these tools, some of the instruments were borrowed, some I bought with super high interest loans, but I had to have these instruments to realize what I was feeling so drawn towards creating. The advantages of todays options for making music – electronic music is off the chart compared to then.

The challenge today is to focus down into your own zone, asking what are your creative desires, how and what you want to create. All the options for soft synths and the complete in the box system direction is obvious and at everyones fingertips now, This is a great way to explore lots of options, but its the not the end all. Being a hardware zealot. I would suggest setting up a minimal analog set up along with the computer world, install a small board, a few synths with lots of knobs that fit the budget, a few effects, reverbs and loopers. All of this can culled together with a modest investment.

The experimentation and learning from this kind of hybrid system can be creatively invigorating with this minimal hardware- computer system. The idea is not placing all the focus just the computer…. or the hardware, but placing it on your creative mindset, defy and transcend the technology. This is a great way to keep things in flux, exciting and fun. Somedays can be about sound exploration without turning on the computer for example. I still have many days where I work only with the synths and machines, working up a great space and recording this to a CD recorder or laptop setup as a stereo recorder. Other days its all in the box and all that opens up. This process will continue to help build a personal sound that emerges over time. These techniques you invent and configure become a vital part of of your sound, your voice.

The larger non musical piece here is discipline. Along with all the ways to engage your awareness in productive creative worlds, more than ever we have a million ways to the ways to become distraction and have hours, days, weeks and years drain away, these distractions equate in a profound wasting of time and for me time is the most valued component in life we have. The personal studio space can be a place where you show up 100% and place your focus into what feels incredible in your mind, body and soul. The discipline to push beyond the constant magnetic pull of everything out there calling for attention requires work. When the music starts boiling up on a dally basis and building energy in your being, when it becomes the first thought you have when you wake up and last thought before going to to sleep, then from my experience this naturally sets the priorities straight. Create something every day. and record what you make constantly, listen to it eating breakfast, driving the car, at work, when having dinner, get back in the studio - create , wake up the next day and repeat.

Quote:
Do you have any thoughts on Bandcamp? I've really enjoyed having your catalog in that ecosystem and the "cook to order" releases.
Bandcamp is the best thing going for independent artist, no question. The option to release an "album" the day after it was completed, without anyones approval creates a special sense of being the in flow, then having the lovers of the music worldwide be right there almost instantly, another fine validation of the time we are living in. The fact Bandcamp is still centered around downloads is a great thing and they know this from what I have read about the company.
Quote:
Last, what was your most memorable live performance and do you have plans for any concerts in 2017?
The Tucson Concert in Feb 2015 was a moment in time. I took all the favorite tools I can never fly or travel far with out for this one since it was close to home
Xpander, OB8, the great wall of Synth.com. A special group of friends came in from all over the states and beyond for the intimate 2 night engagement and helped bring in my 60th birthday,
60 is the new 40 by the way when you have lived on a steady diet electronic music since the late 70's. Young guys take note!
The pinnacle moments of the Tucson concert was released and is here:
bandcamp https://steveroach.bandcamp.com/albu...79-min-version
And CD Steve Roach: Live in Tucson: Pinnacle Moments
I am looking at 2017 for some dates and new live adventures, after a steady run of concert for a few years it was time to that year away from the live mode…

Quote:
Thank you for your music!
Thank you for your positive nature!
Old 1st September 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Roach View Post
Duff,
Many thanks for the resonations on the recent works, your ears .....snip...... and new live adventures, after a steady run of concert for a few years it was time to that year away from the live mode…

Thank you for your positive nature!
Thanks for this profound post

Last edited by Reptil; 20th September 2016 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: shortened quote
Old 1st September 2016
Deleted ca98332
Really inspiring answer, for young and old. Thanks, Steve.
Old 5th September 2016
Solid State Logic

Quite possibly the best post I've seen in the last 5 years on Gearslutz. Found myself agreeing with pretty much every sentence. Top job!
Old 6th September 2016
Dot
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Roach View Post
When the music starts boiling up on a dally basis and building energy in your being, when it becomes the first thought you have when you wake up and last thought before going to to sleep, then from my experience this naturally sets the priorities straight. Create something every day. and record what you make constantly, listen to it eating breakfast, driving the car, at work, when having dinner, get back in the studio - create , wake up the next day and repeat.
This is really brilliant, Steve. The essence of fruitful music production boiled down to its most basic experience.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search