The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's your opinion on Modular Software?
Old 27th August 2016
Question What's your opinion on Modular Software?

Hi Mr. Steve Roach! What do you think about some modular tools/environments as NI Reaktor or Softube Modular?
Do you use/like them?

Last edited by tribeofenki; 28th August 2016 at 11:22 PM..
Old 29th August 2016
Special Guest

Quote:
Hi Mr. Steve Roach! What do you think about some modular tools/environments as NI Reaktor or Softube Modular?
Do you use/like them?
I am a 100% hands on hardware guy, I have investigated some the of the soft synths - The Way Out West Arp 2600 was fascinating after starting out on the real thing. I was able to apply some of my patches from the late 70's in this soft version, it was impressive but I lost interest quickly. NI Absynth stood out and had a rich emotional-complex sound, but again I just was not drawn to working with it for very long.
I need knobs, sliders and more knobs, with zero latency and epic sound. Along with the interface the big piece here is the sound. My addiction to sound is fed through the visceral connection to hardware instruments and the impact and resolution of the pure sonics that comes from these tools, vintage classics or current synths and modular's.

I don't discount the soft modular options. These are powerful tools and I know artists creating impressive music with the soft analogs. Also it takes the modular mindset and makes it accessible, portable and affordable for everyone, also puts the modular world into places where set up time or studio clocks running would not be supportive of the real deal. Softtube looks cool, I could see using this to build a replica of one of my Euroracks and create patches while traveling, then apply it to the hardware system back home. As I say this though I think I would be back in the same boat as stated above on the previous soft options, that I would find myself back carving at the hardware before too long.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search