The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Use of generative MIDI compositional tools like 'M'
Old 25th August 2016
Lives for gear

Use of generative MIDI compositional tools like 'M'

Hi Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to do this Q&A!

An album of yours I keep going back to is the very wonderful Dreamtime Return on which you mention using the long-since defunct compositional tool 'M'.

I think I hear it in there controlling all sorts of non-repeating, percussive patterns as well as swells and drones fading in and out. It's really very interesting, and I don't know why 'M' never really caught on with a wider base of users.

I was wondering if you still use 'M' or anything like it to trigger your synths?

Cheers,

James
Old 27th August 2016
Special Guest

James, thanks, you're digging deep!
I used M on one piece on Dreamtime Return, Truth in Passing, I also used it on the release with Michael Shrieve – The Leaving Time and some other pieces I can't recall at this point
M is available for the Mac OS X, I am a not using it currently but I have plans to check it out again before too long, I was looking at the manual recently and was reminded of its appeal. It really was cool and could still be a great secret tool to inspire creativity and I agree it a shame it never caught on.
These days I am creating the non-repeating organic forms from the Dopefer MAQ16 and the universe of Eurorack modules that offer these kinds of time-trigger based events.
Here is the current version of M
M Interactive Composer: Retro Software, Now Intel Mac Native, Core MIDI-ready - CDM Create Digital Music
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search