The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Q for both of you: communication with the Mastering engineer
Old 24th October 2016
Q for both of you: communication with the Mastering engineer

good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffi
there is a massive change in mix down and mastering since the digital dj revolution. older tracks seem to now all of a sudden lack in high frequency because the standards have changed so much. most modern tracks seem to be pushed in high and mid frequency a lot and it does not really benefit your ears to be honest. its a shame that this is now become the norm and a nicely balanced record seems to sound rather dull. 'in your face' is the motto and i wonder how many people will end up with ear problems ;-) my issue is finding the right person at the right mastering studio that is still interested in doing a solid balanced mix.
did you find one? how do you communicate? are you present during sessions, or have any influence during the mastering?
I'm sure you both have ideas how it should sound. how did you manage in the past?
how do you prepare tracks for vinyl releases?
any obvious mistakes to avoid?
home studio DIY "mastering" what's your take on that? ok for demos?
thanks
Old 26th October 2016
Special Guest

i havent found the perfect person for my music yet and i havent found my right mix down either hahahahaha. i guess its years and years of fine-tuning and trying new things to get that particular sound. sometimes i hear an old record and i am so amazed by the sound and i ask the artist what did you do, was it a certain compressor back then, how did you get that snare so snappy etc. he would say, i just did what ever i though was right, no idea really. there goes my dream thinking they had the right formula. :-)

as i said before, i have a lot of trouble with hyped mastering these days, way too much compression and maximizing. i like a more gentle and warm delicate sound but compared to newer ways of mastering etc it gives you the feeling the record is too gentle or dull. everything needs to be able to be played on any kind of device these days.
Old 26th October 2016
Old 26th October 2016
Special Guest

I am not sure if it's my (or our) personal opinion that has changed or the general quality of mastering but I feel that when I started out making music, I'd send stuff off to a mastering engineer and it would come back sounding "tidied up" and that's it. Now, it seems the engineer wants to do too much, and a lot of the time you need to have him dial back his initial version.

Maybe it's because the mythology surrounding certain engineers have become self fulfilling prophecies? "Oh you need to go to Matt Colton because ...." or "make sure you send it to D&M because you get that Berghain sound!" or (back in the day) "have it mastered by Metropolis so it sounds exactly like Photek!" (lol) An engineer needs to make YOUR music sound better, not put his magic sauce over every single tune he gets sent.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search