The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Live performance
Old 21st October 2016
Gear Nut

Live performance

Hi both,

I recently saw your live set at P-Bar and it was really really good, congrats on that.

Can you tell us more about the set up and the whole process of creating and performing a live set?

What are some recommendations you might have for someone performing?

I mean things like keeping levels in place as they are on the mixdowns, syncing with other gear (I think I saw a 303 as well as the TR-8) and any other tips you might have.

Thank you!
Old 21st October 2016
Special Guest

Hey!
Ah that was a fun set - we both really enjoyed it too.. The set up is quite straight forward; we use Ableton Live with a APC40 (mk2) controller and 8 outs, a MIDIfied 303 and the TR8. We can also put pedals on the sends, I think at Panoramabar we used a Way Huge Supa-Puss analog delay for some craziness once every while.. We will be doing more sets next year so the setup may change a bit, we considered having 2 laptops connected to each other, who knows we will experiment with that too..

In my experience, the trick to playing live is to find the right balance for you personally between experimentation (live jams) and playing the existing music people have come to hear. Obviously that balance can be anywhere between total improv with just some loops and see where the show goes (with the risk of losing yourself in endless possibilities and forgetting the crowd) and on the other side just playing 10 WAV files in a row and thats it (I have seen people do this, and it's extremely dull). What works best is somewhere in between these two extremes.

I wanna leave some room for Steffi as I know she also loves the process of playing live so she can give some more insights! Also, if u have more questions pls ask cos this is a topic we're both really enthusiastic about
Old 24th October 2016
Special Guest

all my music and the doms&deykers project is all dry song structure based so to be able to play versions that are close to the original, you have to either bring lots of gear to reproduce the track, use a sampler based set up for most of the synth lines or ableton where you can basically use the loop system and re-create the track. we basically decided to use ableton as the main clock and the basis for the live set. what i like about ableton is the fact that you can for example create a whole sound bank with different sounds and drums to the live set and play different versions of the songs. we used additional drums out of the tr-8 so you can jam on the fly and program during the song. it give the whole set a more organic vibe. when the energy in the room is right and you wanna give the tracks a bit of a push with a ride or an open hi hat you can decide this on the fly. basically martyn explained it all, he is fast with his answers ;-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search