The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Change in production tools over the years...
Old 20th October 2016
Change in production tools over the years...

Hi Martyn and Steffi

Through Reptils helpful bio, I learned you have both been producing for some time, even the mid 90s across different genres. I have grown up with electronic music produced across the eras (coming across some Martyn along the way) - and have seen the significant shift from a hardware based set-up consisting of analogue, digital synths and samplers, to many people now doing everything in the computer. Additionally, most electronic music used to be pressed to vinyl, now is released as a wav/mp3.

What are your thoughts on the effect of the end result? How much has your own production changed with these times and any particular likes/dislike?
Old 21st October 2016
Special Guest

Hey Thanks for the question..
I've never really worried much about the digi vs analog discussion - Whatever gets me the desired result works for me. There are so many soft/hard options for making music now that I think a lot of people get caught in the tech vortex and forget about writing actual music. And what's perhaps even more annoying are those that stick to a certain purist way of making music ("strictly lo-fi", "only modular" or whatever) and dismissing everyone that doesn't do it their way.. I like to do things in logic and ableton (for live and for fooling around with audio loops) cos its fast and easy to get your ideas down before you forget them.. I love analog for its hands on experience, for the sound and for the more direct way of expressing yourself. If you can find a combination of both that works fluidly, I think you have a good studio setup.
Old 21st October 2016
hi thanks for the reply...I agree for me personally a mix of both is best...it does depend on whatever helps you make music...but I have to admit I really loved the sound of the late 90s early 00s music...however if you are careful I think you can beat it with a hybrid set-up...
Old 24th October 2016
Special Guest

i agree, i think the work set up is a personal choice. i am not a fan of software synths, never been. i have used a few in the past but had issues finding the right sounds as its not so hands on for me. but i have quite a few artists on my label who are only using software and you would not be able to tell the difference. whatever works is the best answer! of course there are certain synths that sound much better the the software plug but many people might own a hardware studio and never released a decent record. the amount of gear says nothing about the quality of the music in the end of the day.

what i do notice, there is a massive change in mix down and mastering since the digital dj revolution. older tracks seem to now all of a sudden lack in high frequency because the standards have changed so much. most modern tracks seem to be pushed in high and mid frequency a lot and it does not really benefit your ears to be honest. its a shame that this is now become the norm and a nicely balanced record seems to sound rather dull. 'in your face' is the motto and i wonder how many people will end up with ear problems ;-) my issue is finding the right person at the right mastering studio that is still interested in doing a solid balanced mix. am i getting off topic here? what was the question? ;-)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search