The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Question for Martyn: use of compressors for FX and mastering
Old 20th October 2016
Question for Martyn: use of compressors for FX and mastering

Listening to this very nice remix, I noticed heavy compression as an effect, contrasting the airy vocals.

What gear or plugin did you use on this track? What is your go-to compressor/limiter at the moment?

A second question: Opinions on Gearslutz are varied about compressors to make things louder, when finishing tracks. What's your opinion about this? Since you said you like to do things yourself: Do you leave that to the mastering engineer?

thanks!
Old 20th October 2016
great track curious to hear some more info on it...
Old 21st October 2016
Special Guest

Haha that song is 8 years old! This is when I just moved to the US and had no studio so I think all this was in the box. The source material for the remix was already great so I can't take all credit for the vocal processing etc but I would set up tracks real simple back in the day, by dividing the track in logical parts such as "Kick and baseline", "percussion", "pads", "vocals" and "sounds".. and then put all those on buses. Then I just level the buses and that would be the mix. The buses separately could get some compression, and thats how I probably got the bass and beats sounding really compact and punchy while the vocal parts remained so airy. (i probably used some sort of stereo expander or chorus thing on the vox too to make them wider sounding than the rest of the song.

When i mix down songs I usually have a rudimentary limiter on the master to get a notion of what it will sound like when mastered, but once the leveling etc is done I send it to the mastering engineer completely "flat", with nothing on the master channel. then I'll have him compress/limit the song. Sometimes we need to go back and forth a few times before I or the label is happy with it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search