The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Reverbs
Old 20th October 2016
Reverbs

Thanks for taking the time to do this Q and A. I've really enjoyed both of your work.

Reverb is a huge aspect of the "experience" of the final product for music production, but it can also be one of the more difficult effects to utilize well. In your work together, and in much of Martyn's solo work, the use of extreme reverbs add more than just character to sounds but the reverbs themselves become a part of the composition.

Do either of you have a particular routine, approach, or philosophy when it comes to adding reverb into your mix, and do you have any particular HW or SW that you trust for certain jobs?
Old 20th October 2016
Special Guest

i am a massive fan of the ensoniq dp4 but i use some lexicon, eventide and strymon verbs too. however the strymon and also the eventide seem cold compared to the ensoniq so the are eating more and more dust. i have a few plugs i use for post production as well. i have to say i just 'try' what type of verb sounds the best for the conposition. i am never using the same type of verb really. i try what 'color' works best for the track and the ofcourse finetune the verb in terms of adjusting length, pre delay and eq so it fits the song. i have no real formula, i really just use my ears
Old 20th October 2016
Thank you Steffi!
Old 21st October 2016
Special Guest

I think my interest in reverb and delay comes from listening to dub reggae and being inspired by the way producers like King Tubby and Lee Perry basically use music as a semi-product and create the final song on their desks using spring reverbs and tape delays, Eq'ing, solo'ing etc. - it was people like that, that made the "producer" much more than just the guy who made stuff sound OK. they became 'musicians' in their own right.
Anyway, almost all the recent solo stuff I have done that needed a reverb got the Eventide Space treatment. It's by far my favorite reverb. Some of my older music has the reverb of the Boss Space Echo pedal (the fake RE201) or just an ordinary reverb from Logic. I use the Eventide also for my live gigs by the way. For delays I have a lot more options, depending on whether im looking for something that really "sings" (endless feedback kinda vibe), a simple analog delay, or some complex digital sounding one. I mainly use guitar pedals for that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search