The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Kick n Bass
Old 19th October 2016
Gear Addict

Kick n Bass

Yo Martyn

Just calling in as I am wondering how you approach kick and bass in a track with respect to where they 'reside' typically.. I grew up on jungle where the kick wouldn't usually be living below 80hz.. usually bumped about 100.. then all bass living beneath..
Do you typically go this route, or is it the other way round where the kick lives at the very bottom..?
I realise there's often overlap anyway , and saying that are there any 'go to' techniques with your eq or filters to help them both happy together?.. and not drowning out your master bus headroom etc..
Many thanks for this mate, I spent a few great summers up in Leeds UK years back and hung around with David Ramadanman a bit, your broken heart remix was an anthem to say the least! Huge tune!!
Old 31st October 2016
Special Guest

Thank you for this question!

You are right that most kick drums sit a little higher in Drum 'n bass to create space for the sub bass underneath it. (and also cos the speed of the music is so fast that a pounding super low kick drum would make the song "drag" and would leave no room, not just for a bass line but also for what happens in the higher frequencies... anyway - I find that with most bass lines that I play, they don't sit exactly where the kicks are, but usually the bass line attacks are just before or after it - this way it can all sit together and keep low freqs. A good example is "Miniluv" where the bass line dances in between the kicks

... If a bass line happens to be in the same spot as a kick drum, I copy that bass note on a separate channel and increase the attack. with a slower attack it gives the kick enough space to do its thing and merges nicely with the kick. Tis a bit of a science but you get the hang of it if you check regularly what is going on in the low end. I usually do this with a simple EQ on the master where I turn down all mids and highs so I can listen carefully if the kicks and basses marry nicely

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search