The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A basic but personal production question
Old 18th October 2016
Here for the gear
A basic but personal production question

Hello Martyn and Steffi, posting from the other side of the Beltway. Been a fan of Martyn's music since the Play:Musik singles. This might be considered very basic, but something I do not think gets asked very often.

How did each of you learn to produce? And what do each of you consider your personal milestones? I saw in an earlier question Martyn mentioned starting out with a friend writing hip hop on an Akai s950. Where did the story pick up from there? How did you each deal with hurdles and plateaus?

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing the album. Really enjoying the broken beat / breakbeat style stuff from your other EPs.
Old 19th October 2016
Special Guest

i started to collect gear in 2002 and messed around for a long time before actually releasing a track! in 2008 my first production saw daylight.

i had massive issues with a proper arrangement and once i cracked that code and found my personal 'steffi' arrangement flow, it really opened doors for me and took my music to the next level.

of course my very first album was a milestone as i never expected the amount of positive feedback. i had absolutely no idea what people would think and the fact that the single taken of that album became a know clubtrack was beyond my expectations. the co-production virginia's album for ostgut ton was also a massive highlight as it is a full vocal dance album and working on proper song structure based music was so inspiring for me and i learned so much from virginia, dexter and martyn who were also part of this project. we are all different producers and to be able to exchange work ethics was very valuable for me.
Old 20th October 2016
Special Guest

Hi from NoVA! That's actually not a question I've been asked very much

After the Akai s900 times I just skateboarded and smoked weed for a few years until I got into promoting drum 'n bass events and eventually DJ'ing.. This went on for a while and with the money I got for gigs I bought a E-Mu E64, a Mackie 1604 table and Roland jx8p. I fiddled around with it but never really got into making a lot of music with it. Then I hit some dire straits personally and financially - I had to sell the equipment and what was left was a old PC with a cracked logic 5.5 and a lot of emotions and this magic combo of restrictions and melancholy turned me onto really getting into making music. I learned most of it myself as for ages I didn't know anyone that used Logic that I could sit in with. I really loved that Roland JX8P so I bought another one, and slowly but surely I started to gather more stuff. When moving to the US I really started gathering more bits (and ANOTHER JX8P).. As for how I learned to produce, a lot is from asking friends how to solve specific problems, or looking things up on youtube, but I always felt my "knowledge" is pretty basic - this is a curse but also a blessing, as I have the tendency to get lost in things, and if I would know too much, I would perhaps end up spending all my time on plugins and no time on finishing music.. People like Marcus Intalex, dBridge, Damon from Instramental and later Steffi, Mark Pritchard, Dexter have been massive helpers for all my stupid questions I always intend to pay it forward, for example with the people who make music for 3024, help them out if necessary etc..
Old 21st October 2016
Here for the gear
Thank you both for answering! I will be sure to check out the Virginia album soon.
Old 28th October 2016
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search