The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The kick
Old 14th October 2016
Lives for gear

The kick

One of the main problems for me as a hobbyist is to get the kick-drum correctly tuned and punchy through a PA. To get the bass drum right and groovy is essential in dance music and I wonder what your approach to this is. Oftentimes I find myself fiddling with the bass spectrum of the groove to long, losing my inspiration to continue the actual songwriting on the way. Do you have a set of kick samples in the beginning you know will work, or perhaps drum machines that allows you to fine tune the groove as the tracks evolves?
Old 15th October 2016
Special Guest

Hi thanks for the question.
Whether a kick drum adds to the groove or is punchy enough of course has to do with your source material (samples or drum machine) but what's equally important is the way you mix your track. That's where you can create or lose punch. I don't use a set of magic kick drums that work for every song (I don't think there is such a thing) but if you pay close attention to how you EQ the kicks and other elements of the track that have low frequencies, you can create "space" in the spectrum for the kick, which will make it punchier and not sound muddled or distorted. This is especially tricky when you have a track that has heavy kicks but also a prominent bassline cos those two behave in the same frequency range. When I'm in the mixing phase I also like to use a visual spectrum analyzer so I can hear as well as SEE what happens in the low end, which elements create 'mud' or resonance issues, things like that. This way I can use EQ'ing to isolate the kick drum and give it the space to breathe. Hope this makes sense!
Old 19th October 2016
Special Guest

i guess that sums it up nicely. if you have tried everything with eq and still a kick sometimes does not give you that 'hit' a very basic simple trick is to bring all other sounds down in the mix a few db. might sound silly but most of the time it works. a little push in the low mid rather then low makes it stand out a but more and using an envelope can help too.
Old 20th October 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by destefster View Post
i guess that sums it up nicely. if you have tried everything with eq and still a kick sometimes does not give you that 'hit' a very basic simple trick is to bring all other sounds down in the mix a few db. might sound silly but most of the time it works. a little push in the low mid rather then low makes it stand out a but more and using an envelope can help too.
Thats nice to hear.
<moderator edit>

Last edited by Reptil; 20th October 2016 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: -

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search