The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
can you elaborate on your sampling workflow,HW and SW?
Old 14th October 2016
Here for the gear

can you elaborate on your sampling workflow,HW and SW?

What is your sampling workflow, SW, HW samplers
Do you use hardware and software samplers?
Which ones are you using these days?
In the past?
Old 17th October 2016
Special Guest

Hey!!
The very very very first music I made was with a friend in a hiphop group, the only thing we had was a akai s900 with so little memory we recorded all the loops on 45 and in 8 bit and then played them much lower on the midi keyboard to bring them back to the original pitch lol - lo-fi without even trying! ...
Since I started using logic (v5.5) I've worked with Kontakt for a very brief time but everything else I do goes through EXS24 which is the fastest, simplest sampler. The functionality is quite basic but it's all about what you put in it... I've made a habit of trying to update my sample collection regularly. I used to do it much more often and spend days of sampling stuff off vinyl, but what I do nowadays is have logic on record, play records all morning and then later go through it all and lift interesting sounds and samples out of the recording. For example I went through some reggae 45s, resulting in a 2hr file and then i go skip thru it to find some interesting drum sounds or chops. I also still record a lot on the street, like for example the background sounds recently on U1-U8 (On Ostgut) .. I lift stuff out of movies and even youtube sometimes. Theres so much! It's good to go through your banks once every while so you know what you have, so that once you're working on a song you know where to look for the perfect sample.. hope this helps!
Old 18th October 2016
Hey Martyn, hope you don't mind a followup question.
You use short snippets only or sometimes longer samples (atmospheric sounds)?
I read in an interview, some recorded sounds formed the basis of an idea for a song.
Is that to set the atmosphere of the track or do you use it for the rhythm as well?
Thanks!
Old 18th October 2016
Here for the gear

Martyn, thank you for the reply...
what do you look for in a sample//// what makes it jump out of a 2 hour recording to grab your attention?
melodies, beast, chords....
Old 18th October 2016
Here for the gear
And one more follow-up regarding sampling, if that's okay.

How do you keep track & organize your samples? And do you immediately process new material? Thanks!
Old 18th October 2016
Special Guest

There are so many ways of using samples.. Sometimes I use a short sample, map it on the keyboard and play melodies with it, for stabs or baselines, or i tune it with a synth sound so that i can layer it and it becomes a new, more original sound.. I have a Moog Sub Phatty and a Moog Minitaur that I use for a lot of bass notes, but I often layer them with a sample to give it a different character.. The bassline on "Glassbeadgames" (w Four Tet) was done that way. The same thing can be applied to drum sounds to make them sound lively, not "exactly right" / funkier, etc.. A lot of field recordings I use as loops of a couple bars and then subtly side chain it to the kicks or bass stabs to give it more of "breathing" atmosphere. Although that trick is now so kitschy I try to stay away from it if its too obvious. Sometimes field recordings present some sort of original rhythmic sound thats nice to loop and become the basis of a track. A little while back I was listening to a song called "Electric Purring" where the main percussion is actually just me knocking on a table https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD6x1BCYL-U theres also some field recording stuff going on in the background. Be as creative as you wanna be, there are no rules really.
Old 18th October 2016
Thanks for the reply!
Old 19th October 2016
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavinci View Post
Martyn, thank you for the reply...
what do you look for in a sample//// what makes it jump out of a 2 hour recording to grab your attention?
melodies, beast, chords....
That's hard to describe.. It just needs to be a sound that is kind of "clean" to lift out of a recording. when you take a drum out of a song and it has a slight reverb leftover from a vocal that was before that, that could give it an interesting edge, but it could also make it really difficult to tune into another song. things like chords and stabs are always fun when you map it on the keyboard and go old' jungle/hardcore style and play different notes with it, see if something interesting comes up that way. Thats how the chord changes in this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbnbIQm00VY were born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavinci View Post
How do you keep track & organize your samples? And do you immediately process new material? Thanks!
No usually I record into large WAV files, with lots of snippets and name them something like "Logan's Run DVD stuff" and it'll have all this film stuff in it. then at times when im uninspired to make music, I go through these files, start to save hits and things separately, make them more easy to handle when i'm in the right flow and i need a sample for something. I think the key is to go through the material all the time, to keep getting inspired by new sounds, instead of organizing something meticulously and then never go back in that folder again until you're really stuck with a song. Just listen to the sounds on the plane, or when you're bored in the studio, or during emails, and you will pick up bits that are interesting enough to use.
Old 19th October 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn3024 View Post
That's hard to describe.. It just needs to be a sound that is kind of "clean" to lift out of a recording. when you take a drum out of a song and it has a slight reverb leftover from a vocal that was before that, that could give it an interesting edge, but it could also make it really difficult to tune into another song. things like chords and stabs are always fun when you map it on the keyboard and go old' jungle/hardcore style and play different notes with it, see if something interesting comes up that way. Thats how the chord changes in this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbnbIQm00VY were born.

No usually I record into large WAV files, with lots of snippets and name them something like "Logan's Run DVD stuff" and it'll have all this film stuff in it. then at times when im uninspired to make music, I go through these files, start to save hits and things separately, make them more easy to handle when i'm in the right flow and i need a sample for something. I think the key is to go through the material all the time, to keep getting inspired by new sounds, instead of organizing something meticulously and then never go back in that folder again until you're really stuck with a song. Just listen to the sounds on the plane, or when you're bored in the studio, or during emails, and you will pick up bits that are interesting enough to use.
Thank U Martyn, these insights that you are sharing with us are valuable.... We need to take them all light to heart as we need to find out own path forward... however ur insight are great lamp post on the journey we are on. I can't thank you enough....
Old 19th October 2016
Special Guest

ok i am jumping in ;-)

all my solo productions always have been completely without using any type of samples. it just never was my way of working up until me and two friends a project called third side where our setup is based around the Akai CD3000XL. we use it in every song. i have to be very honest that my skills with that sampler are very limited as the guys know the machine inside out. i have to say i love this machine though. its so precise and the sound is really nice. there are so many nice options to re-create with all the precise pitch options, loop points, FXs etc . of course it goes without saying its time consuming.

since i started working with martyn i started to use logic's EXS24 more and more. before i many used it for pitching drums but i now record lots of synth lines and trow them in the sampler and i love the glide function on the EXS24 more then anything ;-)

other then that i am pretty much an amateur hahahaha
Old 22nd October 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by destefster View Post
ok i am jumping in ;-)

all my solo productions always have been completely without using any type of samples. it just never was my way of working up until me and two friends a project called third side where our setup is based around the Akai CD3000XL. we use it in every song. i have to be very honest that my skills with that sampler are very limited as the guys know the machine inside out. i have to say i love this machine though. its so precise and the sound is really nice. there are so many nice options to re-create with all the precise pitch options, loop points, FXs etc . of course it goes without saying its time consuming.

since i started working with martyn i started to use logic's EXS24 more and more. before i many used it for pitching drums but i now record lots of synth lines and trow them in the sampler and i love the glide function on the EXS24 more then anything ;-)

other then that i am pretty much an amateur hahahaha
awesome.... this goes to the heart of my dilemma .... a big question for me....
should I get a hardware sampler.... AKAI started it all, or event a Roland SP-404SX....

OR

do I go with a software sampler....

this question goes to both of you....
can you comment on the merits, benefits and disadvantages of SW verse HW sampling?????

As I am coming to this from a fresh start, I don't yet have a personal preferences and would really like to stand on your shoulders and gain some perspective or a roadmap...
thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search