The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Stylising your universe and audience expectations
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

Stylising your universe and audience expectations

Hi Starcadian,

I've just discovered your music recently, and I think you did a fantastic job creating a coherent stylistic universe. Which leads me to the following questions :

- The way you established your universe with its coherent aesthetics and mythology ( from the music to the costumes to the videos, the fonts, the narrative around the character, ect...), do you think it could be a double-edged sword ? What I mean is, when you build a strong world, it builds expectations from the audience that may pigeonhole you if you ever decide you want to explore a different musical style. Unfortunately, I think most often once the audience get used to a sound/look from you, they're not always open to the idea of you going into another direction.

- And so, if one day you decide you want to explore another direction musically, would you still do it under your current alias "Starcadian" , or do you think it would be a better idea to create a seperate alias/character for it ?

Thanks !
Old 24th January 2019
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
Hi Starcadian,

I've just discovered your music recently, and I think you did a fantastic job creating a coherent stylistic universe. Which leads me to the following questions :

- The way you established your universe with its coherent aesthetics and mythology ( from the music to the costumes to the videos, the fonts, the narrative around the character, ect...), do you think it could be a double-edged sword ? What I mean is, when you build a strong world, it builds expectations from the audience that may pigeonhole you if you ever decide you want to explore a different musical style. Unfortunately, I think most often once the audience get used to a sound/look from you, they're not always open to the idea of you going into another direction.

- And so, if one day you decide you want to explore another direction musically, would you still do it under your current alias "Starcadian" , or do you think it would be a better idea to create a seperate alias/character for it ?

Thanks !
I've thought about that many many many times and you're not wrong, it can definitely be limiting. I have entire folders with songs in a radically different style that I know wouldn't fly with my aesthetic, so there's times when it can get a little frustrating.
HAVING SAID THAT, I'm not a particularly smart person, but I had a really smart moment early in my days as Starcadian and thought, well I like many types of different music, so I'm going to do a bunch of them in the first album and that way people can get used to the fact that I'll jump genres at a moment's notice.
I kinda of doubled down on that with Midnight Signals, since I'm not a fan of synthwave personally and figured I'd try to sway my listeners to a different realm that didn't bored me to tears. It was definitely a risk and it could've blown up in my face, but to my surprise, not only did people pick up on it and embrace it, they actually figured out that's what I was going for, which really warmed my cockles haha
So I guess long story short, yes, if you make a brand (puke), the downside is that you have to stick to it, unless you make one that is about not sticking to it
At the end of the day, finding your voice is all about abstraction. Abstracting the idea of genres and styles and presets and realizing that what you bring to the table is your own filter of composition & feeling. That's something that was drilled in my head early on in life through listening to Mr Bungle. They literally span dozens of genres within one song, but their sense of composition and narrative is impeccable and distinct, so the genre doesn't even really matter at the end of the day.
On that note, that's why I listen to everything and anything, as long as it's composed well. And to glom one more dumb platitude here, songs are like people, you shouldn't judge them by their looks, but by what they have to say and how well they say it.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search