The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixing and Mastering
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Head

Mixing and Mastering

Hello, thank you for this opportunity to ask a question. Do you prefer to do the mixing and mastering yourself or give it to the sound engineers? And why?
In general, do you think that it is better to go a long way and learn everything yourself or not try to be a jack of all trades?
Old 22nd January 2019
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch44 View Post
Hello, thank you for this opportunity to ask a question. Do you prefer to do the mixing and mastering yourself or give it to the sound engineers? And why?
In general, do you think that it is better to go a long way and learn everything yourself or not try to be a jack of all trades?
Yes, I've always done my own mixing and mastering, initially because I couldn't afford it (probably still can't!) and later because I got not terrible at it!
I would say that it's worth learning as much as you can about the entire process. If you don't up being a jack of all trades, at LEAST you have an understanding and appreciation of how different pieces of the production fit, so you can be more efficient.
That bit me in the ass on Sunset Blood for example, rather than consolidate most of my risers and hits, I just made a TON of tracks and now I have to basically re-do the entire album if I want to master it for vinyl. So you live and learn.
Also watch Sadowick Production on youtube, dude really knows how to mix/master and everybody should support him because he's going through some pretty gnarly health stuff right now and most indie musicians owe it to him for all the knowledge he's given out for free.
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcadian View Post
Yes, I've always done my own mixing and mastering, initially because I couldn't afford it (probably still can't!) and later because I got not terrible at it!
I would say that it's worth learning as much as you can about the entire process. If you don't up being a jack of all trades, at LEAST you have an understanding and appreciation of how different pieces of the production fit, so you can be more efficient.
That bit me in the ass on Sunset Blood for example, rather than consolidate most of my risers and hits, I just made a TON of tracks and now I have to basically re-do the entire album if I want to master it for vinyl. So you live and learn.
Also watch Sadowick Production on youtube, dude really knows how to mix/master and everybody should support him because he's going through some pretty gnarly health stuff right now and most indie musicians owe it to him for all the knowledge he's given out for free.
Thank you!

So I start learning

Got a couple of books about mixing.
And I guess Sadowick Production will be a great source. Thank you for telling about it!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search