The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A Question about Bitwig and Arturia
Old 16th January 2019
Gear Head

A Question about Bitwig and Arturia

Hi, I read that you are using Bitwig. This is great, I use it too, but as a newbie, I found myself in a paradoxical situation. This is very convenient and easy to use DAW, but at the same time, there are almost no training materials for it and a novice producer (as I) find myself in a situation where it is not clear what to do to create full-fledged tracks/songs.
I mean that it’s easy to make separate clips, tracks, but it’s hard to turn it all into a full-fledged work.
Could you please suggest a workflow, an approximate scheme of work in Bitwig?
And a question about Arturia V. Do you think it is normal to use classic factory presets in music or is it not original and not cool?
Old 22nd January 2019
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch44 View Post
Hi, I read that you are using Bitwig. This is great, I use it too, but as a newbie, I found myself in a paradoxical situation. This is very convenient and easy to use DAW, but at the same time, there are almost no training materials for it and a novice producer (as I) find myself in a situation where it is not clear what to do to create full-fledged tracks/songs.
I mean that it’s easy to make separate clips, tracks, but it’s hard to turn it all into a full-fledged work.
Could you please suggest a workflow, an approximate scheme of work in Bitwig?
And a question about Arturia V. Do you think it is normal to use classic factory presets in music or is it not original and not cool?
Ok first of all, never ever ask anyone else what is original or cool, the way I see it, factory presets are like shoes. You have the same shoes as thousands of other people, but only you know where to take them. Yes, use them Eventually you'll get tired of them and learn the synth, then tweak them to taste. But your songwriting will be the same either way.
I think the big beauty of DAWs like Bitwig and Ableton is that you can kind of set it up however you want, but just as a general rule, I do the following:

- Create 4 groups: Drums, Instruments, Vocals, Various (hits, crashes, risers etc)
- Sidechain Instruments, Vocals and Various with the kick drum or the whole Drums group, depending on your sound, using the Dynamics node.
- Send all audio output from Drums, Instruments, Vocals and Various to a new audio channel, which I call a submaster. On that channel, I put Ozone. If you do that, you'll be able to pull in reference songs in your scene and not have them run through ozone on the master channel.
- Create a MIDI track outside those groups and put it in the very top of the project, make empty midi clips and name them as parts of the song, verse, chorus bridge etc. Now place them accordingly so you have a roadmap for how to finish the song.

I have a preset scene that I use that has that structure, plus Spark in the Drums folder and Analog Lab in the Instruments folder, so I don't have to set this up every time.
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcadian View Post
Ok first of all, never ever ask anyone else what is original or cool, the way I see it, factory presets are like shoes. You have the same shoes as thousands of other people, but only you know where to take them. Yes, use them Eventually you'll get tired of them and learn the synth, then tweak them to taste. But your songwriting will be the same either way.
I think the big beauty of DAWs like Bitwig and Ableton is that you can kind of set it up however you want, but just as a general rule, I do the following:

- Create 4 groups: Drums, Instruments, Vocals, Various (hits, crashes, risers etc)
- Sidechain Instruments, Vocals and Various with the kick drum or the whole Drums group, depending on your sound, using the Dynamics node.
- Send all audio output from Drums, Instruments, Vocals and Various to a new audio channel, which I call a submaster. On that channel, I put Ozone. If you do that, you'll be able to pull in reference songs in your scene and not have them run through ozone on the master channel.
- Create a MIDI track outside those groups and put it in the very top of the project, make empty midi clips and name them as parts of the song, verse, chorus bridge etc. Now place them accordingly so you have a roadmap for how to finish the song.

I have a preset scene that I use that has that structure, plus Spark in the Drums folder and Analog Lab in the Instruments folder, so I don't have to set this up every time.
Thank you!

The shoe example is just perfect!

And this Bitwig's workflow helped me a lot! Great foundation for everything! I'm glad I decided to ask about it. Thank you very much!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search