The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Social media, visibility, gaining a following
Old 15th January 2019
Social media, visibility, gaining a following

This is something that's always baffled me.

95% of the challenge is making good work, constantly. Showing up every day, and persisting.

But that last 5% seems to be the difference maker. I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

What have you found to be helpful in getting your name out there? Getting eyes and ears on your stuff?

What "breakthroughs" have you had in building a fan base?
Old 20th January 2019
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison View Post
This is something that's always baffled me.

95% of the challenge is making good work, constantly. Showing up every day, and persisting.

But that last 5% seems to be the difference maker. I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

What have you found to be helpful in getting your name out there? Getting eyes and ears on your stuff?

What "breakthroughs" have you had in building a fan base?
Ugh, out of all the answers, this is the one I really want to dive into, but i'll be typing forever if I do.
Long story short, You're not going to like my answers haha. As far as I can see, it can only be two things, Luck or Cheating.
I personally refuse to buy likes, followers or anything like that, but I just can't bring myself to do it. All listens and likes are not from a click farm and I take a certain pride in that.
I'm not going to name names, but there's a few bands that showed up out of nowhere and bought so many likes, follows and SUPER high end endorsements, that they actually ended up blowing up in less than a year. Now keep in mind, their music still sucks and the bubble will burst reeeeeal fast, so be careful what you wish for, they know who they are and they know what they did and how long it'll last.
What you want is to make music that will live outside of trends/virality/click farms/likes and if it's actually objectively good & original, you'll get people's ears on it. Just be aware that it's a loooooong climb.
In my case, I've been making music as Starcadian specifically since 2010, but I've recorded albums before that and they fell flat. But literally all my breakthroughs have been luck-based, I don't reach out to people to make a commercial or song for them.
Even my first big break, HE^RT, was luck based, I uploaded it to Vimeo when vimeo was a small crew of people and they dug it, made it staff pick and it got noticed by SXSW. You can't engineer that stuff.
I think it's helped that I developed a visual aesthetic for it early on, so that can't hurt either.
In general, musicians live or die by a gimmick, so I would say find your niche (you're the guy who makes AR music videos or Unity RPG albums, whatever it is) and double down on it.
But yeah, overall I have great great distaste for counting likes/followers so don't care about that too much, just make sure you're doing your job right!

EDIT:
Also don't try to play the reddit game unless you're willing to pay for it, that marketing machine has long been taken over by marketing execs.
Old 20th January 2019
Brother, thanks so much for taking the time to answer my and everyone elses's questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcadian View Post
Even my first big break, HE^RT, was luck based, I uploaded it to Vimeo when vimeo was a small crew of people and they dug it, made it staff pick and it got noticed by SXSW. You can't engineer that stuff.
I think it's helped that I developed a visual aesthetic for it early on, so that can't hurt either.
This snippet here really seems to capture it: you had an amazing piece of work, some people with a platform shared and boosted it on account of its merits, and when they went looking found more quality work waiting for them.

You seem to be in in heavy rotation on various synthwave playlists/stations on Spotify. How important would you say those are?
Old 20th January 2019
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison View Post
Brother, thanks so much for taking the time to answer my and everyone elses's questions.

This snippet here really seems to capture it: you had an amazing piece of work, some people with a platform shared and boosted it on account of its merits, and when they went looking found more quality work waiting for them.

You seem to be in in heavy rotation on various synthwave playlists/stations on Spotify. How important would you say those are?
Hell if I know, to be honest, I don't even know how to get on them. Metrics are garbage to me personally, I know that I have over half a million fans and millions of streams, but I still go to work every day and I haven't bought a porsche yet, so define important haha. What matters now, is what mattered when I first released Girls Of Midnight; that at least one person had an ecstatic, guttural reaction to my sounds, that's literally all musicians truly want.
If I can make more money out of it and do it for a living, that'd be GREAT, but for now the only real metric that counts, is the reaction of fans that have been listening for a while, I owe it to them, as much as I owe it to me to not put my name on garbage or halfbaked productions
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Look up how Kodak Black or 21 Savage.
21 was super calculated.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search