The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Video inspiration
Old 15th January 2019
Video inspiration

So cool to see you here!

I first got turned onto your music when you (or someone) dropped the video for HE^RT on Reddit eons ago.

Obviously, the music grabbed me but as a graphic designer/occasional animation video guy, I was blown away by the video, and how you were able to pull off such a great concept with minimal overhead.

Coming up with concepts for music videos is something that I find a bit daunting. I'd love to hear about your ideation process! Do you sketch? Are you thorough with storyboards or just play it by ear?
Old 19th January 2019
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison View Post
So cool to see you here!

I first got turned onto your music when you (or someone) dropped the video for HE^RT on Reddit eons ago.

Obviously, the music grabbed me but as a graphic designer/occasional animation video guy, I was blown away by the video, and how you were able to pull off such a great concept with minimal overhead.

Coming up with concepts for music videos is something that I find a bit daunting. I'd love to hear about your ideation process! Do you sketch? Are you thorough with storyboards or just play it by ear?
Oh man, that's a big subject haha. Well like I've said before, the only reason HE^RT got made is because Rob O'Neill called me one day and said "hey i bought a cockpit, whatup?" So I came up with the idea for the video.
Things started getting complicated right after HE^RT, when I had the excruciating idea that all the videos would be interconnected and form a larger narrative.
So for better or for worse, I established the rules and limitations of this music video universe pretty early on, so I have my own narrative walls to bump off of and and not get lost in the sea of endless possibilities.
On the other hand, every video has to somehow conform to the storyline so it can be a little TOO limiting. Either way, the ship kind of pilots itself and I just have to figure out how the story goes as I'm writing it!

Now STORYBOARDING... Oof. All music videos that i've done up to now started as one thing and ended as another because of circumstances, weird footage kinks, missing a key shot or whatever reason. I only just started storyboarding my own videos on the current one i'm working on because it was so massive and epic in its execution and planning that I had no choice.

Best thing I can suggest for music video inspiration is a)don't look at music videos, look at movies for editing and composition, there's less cuts and prettier framing b) learn 3D if you don't know it already, you can experiment with framing in a 3D viewport much faster than in real life!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search