The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Original Version of Freak Night?
Old 14th January 2019
Here for the gear

Original Version of Freak Night?

I remember when Freak Night had just released. I loved it, though it was to my surprise when it was removed and wasn’t available again until Midnight Signals was released. Though it was a different version. While I love the new version just as much and probably more, I’m kind of a sucker for demo work or songs that didn’t quite make the cut of artists I love. I asked about it on Twitter once and you stated that you would release it “with a heavy heart.”

So my question is, would you still be open to releasing the original version of Freak Night? You do fantastic work and I look forward to Midnight Signals Part II. Love Deep Cuts by the way!
Old 17th January 2019
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyCooper1324 View Post
I remember when Freak Night had just released. I loved it, though it was to my surprise when it was removed and wasn’t available again until Midnight Signals was released. Though it was a different version. While I love the new version just as much and probably more, I’m kind of a sucker for demo work or songs that didn’t quite make the cut of artists I love. I asked about it on Twitter once and you stated that you would release it “with a heavy heart.”

So my question is, would you still be open to releasing the original version of Freak Night? You do fantastic work and I look forward to Midnight Signals Part II. Love Deep Cuts by the way!
Hoo boy, that IS a deep cut! Yeah, so here's full disclosure of what happened: Like I said before, I'm not the world's best mixing/mastering engineer and I kinda bit off more than I could chew with Freak Night. I spent months and months trying to balance it out and I basically lost track of the balance. It was kinda intense and brickwalled, so as soon as I released, some people complained that it was too much. It's really curious how sometimes you're blind to a part of your music, until someone brings it up, suddenly I could hear the problem front and center. I swear, music and musical perception is pure quantum theory.
So I took it down because I just don't want that stuff to stay out there in perpetuity and potentially be the first introduction to what I do. The Deep Cuts version is the closest to that I'll ever get to releasing that, to be frank. But hey, on the upside, I upped my game with mastering and learned how to control leviathan tracks haha. Shoutout to Izotope for Tonal Balance Control/Ozone 8 and my Beyerdynamic 770s that a couple of people recommended, I'm finally a big boy musician!

I think the BIGGER question should be why release another version of Freak Night a year later. Why would I possibly want to do that? (Spoiler, it's not for the money)
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search