The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
mixing drums
Old 10th January 2019
Here for the gear

mixing drums

thank you STARCADIAN and Gearslutz for this Q+A!

can you tell us some of your tricks when mixing the drums in your songs?

thanks!
Old 15th January 2019
Special Guest

Oof, like I mentioned before, I'm not very good at that, but what I have found is that if you listen to Oliver enough and obsess over their structure and mixing, eventually it starts clicking in your brain.

- I use very tight sidechaining, so I don't let it take too long to come back up, but the threshold is very low.
- I use Ozone Tonal Balance Control to double-check my mix at all times
- Definitely use The Glue to punch them up.
- By FAR one of the hardest songs to mix was Freak Night, there is an obscene amount of things going on. When I got it where I wanted, I actually ended up grouping everything and adding an extra layer of drums that I sidechained the whole song with. Normally I would advise very much against that, it's kinda sloppy and not very controllable, but it saved me in that particular instance.
- I also use Valhalla Reverb a TON to give the drums a little bit of space and not have them be completely dry/electronic.
- Night Games has about 7-8 different snares layered together, sometimes you have to build it up.
- My last tip is to look into the Maschine Expansions, I thought I had my drums all figured out until I heard its drum sounds. Holy crap they are GOOD. I don't know what it is about them but the kicks and hi hats are unbelievable. Also you don't need a Maschine to use them anymore.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search