The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Cydonia Sound Enhancers & Exciters (HW)
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

New Cydonia

I stumbled upon this track and your music via Spotify a while back. I can’t tell you how much I dig this track and your work. I’m really excited to see what you have coming out soon.

But I have to know. Can you tell me more about this track? What it’s really about, what inspired the lyrics, is there a story to it? I feel like it’s a disservice to the track to not know with how much I have listened to it.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Agreed. This song was my top played Spotify song of 2018, and for good reason. Completely takes me out of this world and I would love to learn more about it and where it came from.
Old 2 days ago
special guest

Thank you for the kind words!!

Long story short, I lived in the middle east for a while when I was younger and I always love researching cultures, proverbs and the musical history of countries, so fast forward to a couple of years ago when I was looking back at some of my notes and I went down the wikipedia link hole.
At some point in the middle of the night, I end up reading Zulu proverbs which I found beautiful and the one quote stood out to me, "Ingwe Idla Ngamabala", which translates to "A leopard eats by means of its spots".
I found that really elegant and kind of rejuvenating, as I was struggling to figure out what I was doing as Starcadian, what kind of music I really wanted to make, if it was worth it, if anyone's going to listen etc. the classic bull**** everyone goes through. And this kind of cut right through all that and told me I should make whatever the hell I want to because I'm the only one that brings what I bring into the table, good or bad and that's what'll define me as an artist.
From there (as you can tell I overthink lyrics and song meanings to death) I wanted the song to evoke feelings of homesickness when you have a love/hate relationship with your hometown, so I put some subtle personal stuff there to kinda of spark the chords out of my brain and it kinda flowed from there.
And by flowed I mean I had dozens of different versions because it had to be just right haha.
Also 3-4 of those were waaaaay too close to 'Africa' and we can't have that in a post 'Blurred Lines' world.
Old 1 day ago
special guest

Also the drums were inspired by Gallant's 'Bourbon'. God, that guy kills it.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search