The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ziggy Marley - Dragonfly
Old 12th July 2015
Lives for gear

Ziggy Marley - Dragonfly

First of all thank you so much for taking the time for doing this! Really appreciated!
Thanks also to GS..Jules, team and mods for having such a cool place with great Q&A's..

Dragonfly is not a very reggae (sounding) album (in my opinion), rather dry-ish/natural and acoustic, but is one of my favourite albums made by Ziggy Marley. Maybe that's the reason I really like it.. (even if I do quite a bit of reggae and dub myself and I'm into it).

I also feel that Brian MacLeod on drums was incredible.. especially on "I Get Out".. goose bumps on that song! (Not that the other incredible players of that album weren't good, but he really nailed those songs, at least imho, for what is that worth).

Can you explain the techniques used..what was the "vision" for this album (since you were also the producer)? Did the band play together in one room (most of it)?

Also the kick drum in "true to myself" is kind of a resonating "jazzy" tone.. yet controlled lowend.. could you explain how you achieved this, please? I believe the kick was already sounding like that.. but maybe you have some tips on how to control the lowend so well (and btw, loving that snare drum as well )

I hope these are not too many questions..

Thank you again!

Cheu (Claudio)
Old 14th July 2015
Ross Hogarth

I will answer this tomorrow .. I don't have time today
I love this record and am very proud of it and the answers are more detailed than i have time for
Old 14th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMotel View Post
I will answer this tomorrow .. I don't have time today
I love this record and am very proud of it and the answers are more detailed than i have time for
Take your time..no rush.. I do really like that record as well!! (as you already knew, you did a GREAT job).

I asked you other questions in the bronx drum thread.. but again.. I could wait all the time you need..

Thanks again! Really appreciated!

Cheu
Old 16th July 2015
Ross Hogarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post

Can you explain the techniques used..what was the "vision" for this album (since you were also the producer)? Did the band play together in one room (most of it)?

Also the kick drum in "true to myself" is kind of a resonating "jazzy" tone.. yet controlled lowend.. could you explain how you achieved this, please? I believe the kick was already sounding like that.. but maybe you have some tips on how to control the lowend so well (and btw, loving that snare drum as well )
Hey there
The vision was that this was more of a world music record and Ziggy's first record away from the melody makers
so anything goes ..
"I get out" and "True to Myself" are like mission statements

first
to get out of the box that he was in as Bob's son
to be free enough to not have to make a reggae record just because that what was expected
so
"I get out" is a mixture of textures
some heavier and more aggressive and punk and some just outside
including the David Lindley slide solo
That track was cut with bass / drums / Ziggy and James Harrah playing rhythm guitars

"true to myself" was the single and I knew it had to be great
the song wanted to maintain the hypnotic vibe but I wanted it to feel like a mixture between the classic soul of Motown/Memphis and the bottom end of HipHop
I also needed some sneaky guitar hooks
I actually came up with the guitar hooks in the verse and ch with help from David Lindley in the delivery of them
Then I added horns to help build the track as it goes but made them gritty and LO FI
The hardest part of that track was the kik drum
I did not want a sample, I wanted it played
but I wanted it to sound like an 808
so eventually Brian and I came up with something we had toyed around with on a prior record which was using an 18' Ludwig Fl tom on its side as the kik drum
we had to figure out how to mount it so he could play it
and finally when we did we had the perfect resonant kik drum
the snare is a crazy pie plate snare
like a 12 x 3
all in all again my vision was musical meets sonic
the end result being a feel good track that harkens back to soul music with a taste of modern and being in the end something that is timeless and never sounds dated
I hope I nailed that
I know its one of Ziggy's most popular tunes along with the next record "LOve is my Religion" that I also produced /eng/mixed
Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieMotel View Post
Hey there
The vision was that this was more of a world music record and Ziggy's first record away from the melody makers
so anything goes ..
"I get out" and "True to Myself" are like mission statements

first
to get out of the box that he was in as Bob's son
to be free enough to not have to make a reggae record just because that what was expected
so
"I get out" is a mixture of textures
some heavier and more aggressive and punk and some just outside
including the David Lindley slide solo
That track was cut with bass / drums / Ziggy and James Harrah playing rhythm guitars

"true to myself" was the single and I knew it had to be great
the song wanted to maintain the hypnotic vibe but I wanted it to feel like a mixture between the classic soul of Motown/Memphis and the bottom end of HipHop
I also needed some sneaky guitar hooks
I actually came up with the guitar hooks in the verse and ch with help from David Lindley in the delivery of them
Then I added horns to help build the track as it goes but made them gritty and LO FI
The hardest part of that track was the kik drum
I did not want a sample, I wanted it played
but I wanted it to sound like an 808
so eventually Brian and I came up with something we had toyed around with on a prior record which was using an 18' Ludwig Fl tom on its side as the kik drum
we had to figure out how to mount it so he could play it
and finally when we did we had the perfect resonant kik drum
the snare is a crazy pie plate snare
like a 12 x 3
all in all again my vision was musical meets sonic
the end result being a feel good track that harkens back to soul music with a taste of modern and being in the end something that is timeless and never sounds dated
I hope I nailed that
I know its one of Ziggy's most popular tunes along with the next record "LOve is my Religion" that I also produced /eng/mixed
Thank you so much! Makes totally sense.. and in case you had any doubts, yes, you nailed it!

Did you use particular micing techniques? Did you use tape at all in that record? Pre's/console used?

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Cheu
Old 16th July 2015
Gear Addict

Spectacular album and one that seems to be in rotation every year as my kids and I drive from Colorado to NW Ontario and back for vacation. Definitely my favorite Ziggy album. Gorgeously executed!
Old 17th July 2015
Ross Hogarth

thanks guys ..

so
the album was recorded to pro tools through the Neve consoles at both Steakhouse and Glenwood Place and then
up at Ziggy's house through my normal selection mic pre's
Chandler TG2/ Germanium/LTD , Neve 1084's, API 312, Telefunken V72 ..
and then I mixed it on the Neve at Glenwood place into my 2 track analog tape machine
I still owned my 1" 2 track Ampex running at 15ips CCIR
what a frickin machine that was
but clients didnt want to pay for tape over the next few years so I eventually sold it .. to this day I piss myself off when i think about selling it
gear remorse ... sheesh i screwed up ...
anyway those are some more details
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search