The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Culture and your Art
Old 23rd July 2016
Culture and your Art

Now a question I don't think anyone else is going to ask but I've spent a lot of time thinking about for myself: As a fellow American making electronic music with similar niche interests, how do you carry on and view your work in relation to the cultural environment at large, given that the American public at large couldn't care less about Electronic music, the center of Electronic music is and has long been in Europe (and arguably the UK), and the only people that make it big here are of the incredibly cheesy and corporate variety? Have you not been tempted to flee the country? Also: Atlanta seems like this x 10, from what I know of it..please comment or refute.

-Nick
Old 28th July 2016
Gear Head

Hi Nick, thank you for the message here. This is an interesting question in that I find closer ties to the UK experimental electronic music scene then any other scene in the world. I had been influenced early on by the works of Aphex Twin, Black Dog, B12, and Autechre. I was 16 years at the time, and bought the Disjecta ‎– Clean Pit & Lid
record, that had this amazing artwork. The music was dark abstract and minimal. I had not heard music like this before, and wanted to find more. At the time in Atlanta, this type of music wasn't popular actually I found the record in a reject bin at the local record shop I use to go to. I would discover many other Warp releases there, as most of the Atlanta DJ's were only interested in playing the current dance floor hits. I was more interested in learning about these other artists, and this different style of music that wasn't meant for the dance floor.

Another big turning point is when I heard the work of Aphex Twin. I bought a Meat Beat Manifesto MindStream Remixes EP, that had a AFX remix on it. I was completely blown away by this, and knew at this point I wanted to look into making my own electronic music. I had no idea that almost 10 years later that warp records would release my first album. I knew that I wouldn't ever be incredibly big, or make a lot of money doing this kind of music. I choose to make this because it was the most inspiring music I had heard, and something about it spoke to me. I have been tempted a few times to move to Berlin, or Australia but have found Atlanta to have its own sort of charm.

As for how I view my work in relation to the cultural environment at large. I would say that I have just carried on doing what I have done since the beginning. I have seen lots of genres/scenes come and go over the years. You could say that the scene I was involved with had its heyday in the late 90’s with IDM music. Only a handful of those artists are still making music today. I honestly have no idea how I have kept going on for this long. I guess I have just never given up on it, and told myself that I would always be making music no matter what. :-)
Old 28th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardDevine View Post
Hi Nick, thank you for the message here. This is an interesting question in that .......................snip.......................handful of those artists are still making music today. I honestly have no idea how I have kept going on for this long. I guess I have just never given up on it, and told myself that I would always be making music no matter what. :-)
Thank you for your reply. We have similar influences (to mine I would add an equal dose of jazz and flamenco, which I'm aiming to unify with electronic elements in my music), and thoughts, and I would agree with you about the heydey of IDM in the late 90s, although perhaps there is something of a mini-renaissance what with the Eurorack explosion and all the Aphex releases of late..you know way more than me, have way more gear and experience, but my aspirations and goals are the same!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search