The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Randomness
Old 22nd July 2016
Here for the gear

Randomness

Could you talk a bit about how you use random elements in general and the Ladik R-110, which you mentioned in your DivKid interview, in particular?
Old 24th July 2016
Gear Head

Hi thanks for the message here, the Ladik R-110 is an amazing little module. With the R-110 you have 3 random trigger outputs, and below 3 random gate outputs. The Gate 1/2/3 output jacks and LEDs (probability = 3 so in average every third clock makes gate on and then every third clock makes gate off) There is some jumper settings on the back that are fun to play with:

a) jumper 1: fixed 1ms trig outputs
b) jumper 2: fixed 200ms trig outputs
c) jumper 3: variable trigger outputs length – quarter of input gate length
d) jumper 4: variable trigger outputs length – half of input gate length
e) jumper 5: variable trigger outputs length – equal to input gate length

I like using the jumper 3/4/5, and using the R-110 with modules like the MakeNoise Phonogene, specifically the Record/Play/Gene Shift inputs, really brings the Phonogene to life. Another fun one is the Mutable Instruments Clouds, using the three gate outputs, into the Freeze, Trig, and Density inputs. Its interesting as the alternating sustain gates make for some really awesome glitchy on time sounds.

Another cool feature about the R-110 that I love is the Disable input jack, which basically freezes all activity on the trig and gate outputs, I love running something like a 4ms Rotating clock divider or Quad Clock Distributor in there at a 4th or 8th division, so it pauses the randomness at specific time intervals. I like using random if I can sort of control or apply it in some musical way.

I am also a big fan of the Qu-Bit NanoRand, Modcan Quad LFO for doing random duties. The 4th mode pink (stepped random) is excellent on the Qu-Bit Nano Rand. I often like to clock the input at a 4th division from the 4ms RCD and use slower in time random changes to filters, or effects. It really brings lots of animation to my patches.

With the Modcan Quad LFO, I am doing sort of the same thing that the Ladik R-110 is doing. I set the waveshape to the random stepped position. Then set mode to Quadrature which converts the Quad LFO to a single LFO but with quadrature outputs spaced 90 degrees apart. Its great as the voltages are all offset from each other but are playing in time. I usually run a clocked divided signal into the LFO input 1, which sets the clock value for all 4 LFOs. You also have all the waves available in quadrature including Pattern and morphing waves for advanced quad panning or barberpole type effects. Really cool, I use two Quad LFO's here extremely useful module :-)
Old 25th July 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks so much, Richard! That's very helpful. I recently got Clouds, Rings, and Warps and I've realized I know may be a bit short on modulation and randomness. I have a Phonogene and RCD, too, so your comments are super helpful. I was wondering about the R-110 jumpers, too, and you've answered that as well.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search