The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How do you prepare your live show?
Old 13th July 2016
Here for the gear
How do you prepare your live show?

Hi Richard!

I'm curious about how you prepare your live show. Do you write notes like 'patch a cable from lfo to osc A pitch cv' or 'recall seq 1 on this module'? And how do you pre-patch your modular before show? For example do you split modules into groups and use certain group in certain song things like that?

Many thanks!
Old 16th July 2016
Gear Head

Hi thanks for the message here, I use a combination of things in preparation for my live show. Most recently I have been using a prototype 12U Eurorack case by Elite modular Elite Eurorack Cases

This new prototype case allows me to travel with my modular fully patched. I will often switch around modules, sometimes installing new ones 1 or 2 weeks before the show. I am constantly switching things around to improve the performance all the time. I try to do a few practice rounds with the patch before I take it out live. Once I have something I like. I will make outline notes going over each song that I will perform from the patch. Lately I have been pushing to play between 8 to 9 full songs from this patch. In my outline notes I write out what each module will do, a lead sound, bass sound, pad, or drums. Everything has an assignment, and will change from song to song. I use 3 Mutable instruments Braids modules and a Intellijel Shapeshifter that handles all the melodic duties. These are great modules because you can define/recall different quantized scales, and different synthesis modes really quickly. The latest firmware 1.8 for Braids adds a built in VCA mode so you can dial in your VCA settings very quickly, and start shaping the timbres as you perform each voice.

I set up my patch to work in sections. First I will perform with the first section usually moving left to right. The modules and setup in the left side of the case get used first then I move across, ending on the right. I have a few mixers installed around my case so I volume up different sections, and parts as I go along. I also run a iphone timer that counts down the time so I can practice the performance within a set timeframe. Sometimes I have a 45 minute slot and others a 1 hour 20 minute slot. This is a great way to get your brain thinking about the structures of each song you are performing, while keeping a sense of time, as its really easy to get carried away with the modular.

When I store patch notes, I first make hand written notes. Then once I have everything I like I will store them as text files in the computer, that I later print out. This way I can update or make changes to them easily. My protocol is pretty simple, I start out first by the master clock then go from there. So I look at my connections by the master clock, then to the sequencers, then control sources (AR, ADSR, LFO), then those outputs to the modules. :-) Here is an updated link to my current live setup on Modular Grid: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/39699

the bottom section is the left side and the top two rows is the right side :-)
Old 16th July 2016
Here for the gear
Your answer is really helpful:D
Just updated my braids' firmware to 1.8 and the quantizer is extremely useful.Considering buying one of those cases in the future.
Thank you very much for your time & sharing tips to us!!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search