The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Synth Patch Handbooks
Old 10th July 2016
Here for the gear

Synth Patch Handbooks

Any quick shoutouts to books/documents/manuals for synth patches that you found to be enlightening or illuminating?
Old 10th July 2016
Gear Head

Hello thanks for the message, here are a few books that I have found to be really useful over the years.

1. Electronic Music: Systems, Techniques, and Controls by Allen Strange. Essential if you can get a copy of it as a PDF or a hardcopy. I have had this book since I was a teenager, incredibly well written with some awesome examples.

2. The Beginner's Book of Electronic Music "A fascinating introduction to synthesized sound using build-your own circuits or commercial equipment!" By Delton T. Horn
This book was my bible for many years, which explains different types of patching, recording patches, synthesizing natural sounds, creating new patches.

3. Composing Electronic Music - "A New Aesthetic" by Curtis Roads. This book just came out last year, but has been an incredibly awesome, there is some great patch examples and really great approaches to composition techniques! I also have Microsound and The Computer Music Tutorial. Although not totally based around modular patching, they are still wonderful for thinking about various techniques for electronic composition.

4. Designing Sound - by Andy Farnell: Although not directly focusing on modular patches, I constantly refer back to this book for patch ideas, and many of the examples can be applied to modular patching. The examples are offered in the Pure Data audio programming language, which is free to download. The Code and sound examples are also available to download.
Old 10th July 2016
Lives for gear

Wow... Nice suggestions, thanks
Old 12th July 2016
thanks! I'm sure going to check those out
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search