The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
If you were on a budget what would you buy?
Old 8th July 2016
Gear Maniac

If you were on a budget what would you buy?

If you were starting out now on your music path and had a limited budget (say U$3000), but had all the music, technology and synth knowledge you currently possess, what synths and other gear would you buy?
Old 9th July 2016
Gear Head

Hello thanks for the message here, hum if I only had a budget of 3K, I would probably just get myself a new Macbook Pro, and decent midi controller :-)

Some other things I might consider

1. Zoom H6, handy portable recorder that has the ability to record up to 6 inputs. Also has 4 mic inputs and can also be used as a sound card interface to your computer. Super handy for grabbing quick recordings or can record line level synths and stuff on the go. It never leaves my bag, at $399 its a steal.

2. Teenage Engineering OP-1 synthesizer, this is another device I carry with me everywhere I go, its so versatile, its a sampler, sequencer, synthesizer, 4-track tape recorder, and portable MIDI controller to my laptop. I absolutely love this thing, its great when I need to work on the road. I have seen them go used between $550-$650. Incredible value for all they have packed in there.

3. Elektron Octatrack - If you wanted to avoid using a computer setup, the Octatrack would be my next choice. Its a 8 channel sampler workstation, with onboard 16-track sequencer (eight internal, eight MIDI). This unit is excellent I could completely use this alone if I had nothing else. I have seen these go for around $950 used, incredible value.

4. Fireface UCX or Universal Audio Apollo Twin DUO. I use both RME and Universal Audio cards here at the studio. I have found both brands to be solid investments and offer great features at great price points. :-)
Old 13th July 2016
Hey I am sorry to re-ask this question, but I will do it:

How about if you had a budget of only $500?

Thank you
Old 5th August 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by math_blaster View Post
Hey I am sorry to re-ask this question, but I will do it:

How about if you had a budget of only $500?

Thank you

If I only had a budget of $500, and had nothing else I would probably get a PC laptop computer, as you can do almost anything with software these days. If you already have a computer, I would look at maybe getting a second hand OP-1 by Teenage Engineering. I love this synth, its super portable can be used as a midi controller to your laptop and offers many types of synthesis, and sampling in one box. :-)
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search