The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What about HW drum machines ?
Old 7th July 2016
Gear Maniac

What about HW drum machines ?

Hello Richard,
First, thank you for doing this. I took some time to thought about what I could ask you because you share your knowledge and stuff a lot. Lots of interviews, articles, etc.
Your live setup breakdown in 2015 was very interesting. So thank you for doing all of that too.

I know you are more about modular and software,
But I noticed that you have numerous drum machines in your studio : elektron, tempest, electribe i think. Maschine also, can be considered as a drum machine maybe ... Well it's not stand alone.
And that ND2 in your live setup.

So I was wondering questions like : which one was your favorite, which is the most inspiring, which is the nicest for drums sound design ... And why, obviously.
Also feel free to add anything you think relevant to this. Saw that there's a thread about processing.

Thanks !
Val
Old 8th July 2016
Gear Head

Hello Val, thanks for your message, yes I do use a lot of drum machines here at my studio. I am a big drum machine junkie to be honest. Here is a list of my favorites that I use here and why:-)

1. Elektron Machinedrum SPS-1UW+ MKII - Excellent probably my favorite drum machine of all time, so flexible, and with the sampling option makes this a work horse power house. I love this machine for all the drum synthesis machines, you can really craft and create almost anything with it.
2. Elektron Analog Rytm - Been another recent favorite of mine, I love the new Scene mode switching, very cool for doing drastic changes to programs. The latest OS 1.30C update with 12 new drum engines is superb! I like the ability to mix your own samples with analog voicing on this machine. Been using this a lot lately.

3. Dave Smith Tempest - Love the layout and modulation section on this unit. Its got a very unique sound, and I also worked on the initial factory drum programs. What is neat is that you can use the Tempest like a analog synthesizer and play melodies along with percussion. This one is also wonderful for designing some of your own custom percussion sounds.

4. Roland TR8 - this has been an excellent machine for me, I still have the original TR-707, 727, 808, 909, and 606 drum machines here, which I still love. This is nice in that its all in one machine now with the expansion packs loaded. I love the scatter function and built in effects. A really solid machine, and I always have this one setup to record on many of my track sessions.

5. Nord Drum 2, although not really a drum machine, its a wonderful 6 voice drum modeling synthesis engine, and has been a life saver for my recent modular sets. What I really love is the the Tone Section which is specialized for creating tonal and harmonically complex sound spectras and has three synthesis modes – Resonant synthesis, Subtractive Synthesis and Frequency Modulation synthesis. You can just about make any sound you want on the ND2, plus its so portable I take it with me almost everywhere :-)
Old 9th July 2016
Lives for gear

Do you still use the Rhythm Wolf?
Old 12th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Thank you for your detailed answer ! Glad to see you like the analog Rytm. I didn't thought you'd like drum machines so much as I mostly see apps,VSTs and modular on your social media pages.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search