The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Virtual Reality
Old 5th July 2016
Here for the gear

Virtual Reality

Hi Richard,

Are you excited by the current advancements of virtual reality such as the Oculus Rift in relation to music production and what types of music applications and advantages do you forsee in this realm?
Old 7th July 2016
Gear Head

I am very excited about the advancement of VR, I am currently working with Google on a VR audio project. Its been a very exciting experience so far. I have a Occulus Rift DK2, and HTC Vive system here at my studio. Been having a lot of fun with them, and recently started doing ambisonic recordings with the Sound Field 450ST MKII microphone system. I really think VR will open a new world of possibilities in how we interact with music, and also introduce the idea of VR instruments.

I was at Google's VR lab playing around with this VR drum test application, which allowed users to create these customized floating drum heads. You could arrange how big the drum heads could be, and also set them in a floating space in any configuration you wanted. You then could load samples on to any of the floating drum heads. What was interesting is that you could play them with the HTC controllers, and swing out and trigger groups of sounds, or play the drum heads like a drum set. It was very responsive. For example you could setup the virtual drum heads in a floating stack, so that you could simply sweep through 10 instruments with one gesture. I setup 20 to 30 drum sounds in these odd stacked cylinder towers around me which created these really interesting rhythms. I could easily see this idea going further into something more advanced, and more customized. You could essentially design the perfect instrument, in the VR world that is customized to exactly how you would like to play. :-)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search