The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Jordan
Old 5th July 2016
Lives for gear

Jordan

hi richard
How does it feel to be the 'Jordan Rudess' of electronic music instruments ?
Any new totally alien technology out there , not yet discovered that we really need to buy ?
Old 7th July 2016
Gear Head

Ha I don't know if I could be considered the Jordan Rudess of electronic instruments, just a humble knob tweaker here :-) As for new technology, not really new but really been digging the Sanken CO-100k microphone. An omnidirectional super wide range condenser microphone with an extended frequency response of 20Hz to 100kHz. I have been going out a lot lately and recording sounds at 192khz. Then pitch shifting down these recordings, in the computer. The detail is staggering, and I have gotten some really amazing sounds with it. The interesting thing I have noticed on some of my recordings with this microphone is the strange things that pop out at these lower pitches. At the normal speed, you don't hear anything out of the ordinary, but as soon as you pitch it down at the highest sampling rate some strange things start to emerge. Its happened on a few of my night time field recordings (insects/bats). I am not entirely sure what some of these sounds are, but its an interesting area I have been exploring.
Old 9th July 2016
That's interesting, ultrasonic sampling. I wonder if anyone has explored infrasonic sampling.

Last edited by botany blues; 9th July 2016 at 11:47 PM..
Old 5th August 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by botany blues View Post
That's interesting, ultrasonic sampling. I wonder if anyone has explored infrasonic sampling.

Yes, I got the idea 3 years ago when I did these recordings of the Indiana Bat in the North GA mountains. This sound clip was captured using the Anabat SD2 - Bat Detector - high microphone.

https://soundcloud.com/richarddevine...ith-the-anabat

This device allows you to monitor the ultrasonic echolocation calls of bats for species identification and activity measurement.The typical hearing range of this bat is between 20hz - 150Khz. I was amazed at how complex some of these echolocation patterns looked on a sonogram and was even more blown away by how they sounded. This file was outputted from the Anabat software application which takes the bat calls and converts them to wave files. The Anabat software application also converted the calls to a audible human hearing range (20hz-20khz) as most of the bats calls went up into the 150khz range.

I began researching other microphones and came across the Sanken and had to have it, I am going to purchase another one this year so I can do stereo ultrasonic recordings, I have yet to find anything to capture audio in the infrasonic range, a very interesting idea indeed. :-)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search