The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Binaural/ambisonics
Old 5th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Binaural/ambisonics

Hi Richard,

Thanx for the opportunity to ask you some questions!
I saw on Facebook a few days ago a picture you posted of a setup for ambisonic recordings. What is your setup of choice?
Also, have you tested binaural recordings, with a head or intra-aural microphones? Have you also tested binaural "synthesis", i.e. using mono or stereo or multichannel sources for sound design in binaural output?

Thanx!

Ben
Old 13th July 2016
Gear Head

Hello thanks for the message here. I have just recently started into the world of Ambisonic recordings. I am currently working on a VR audio project for Google, and have been capturing Ambisonic environmental recordings for them using the Sound Field 450ST MKII system and my Sound Devices 788T recorder. Here is a link to the system: ST450 MKII SoundField Portable - TSL Products

My binaural recording setup as of lately has been using DPA Microphones SMK4060 Stereo Microphone Kit. I actually use my own head, and clip the two DPA 4060's into these iPod headphone ear clips for runners called BudFits: BudFits - Keep Your iPod or iPhone Earbuds From Falling Out - Workout Headphones Pro

What is great is that the DPA's hang down in the opening near my ear openings, placing them in the perfect position. I have gone out to many places and capture stealthy binaural recordings, as it looks like I am just sitting listening to music etc. I sometimes just use these and my Zoom H6, makes it less obtrusive, and never draws any attention when I am out in public.

I am planning on picking up the 3DIO Free Space Pro II Binaural Microphone system later this year, as I think it will be a better option for capturing binraural recordings on the fly, over my current setup :-)
http://3diosound.com/products/free-s...ral-microphone

Recently I have been playing around with The SoundScape Renderer (SSR) and Harpex-B which is a parametric decoder that offers a lot of flexibility in working with Format-B, and is what I am primarily using on this Google project: Harpex
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search