The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Impulse responses
Old 5th July 2016
Impulse responses

Hi Richard,

I've seen on Instagram that you record impulses with a Zoom H6. Which other tools do you use to create a reverb? Is there also some documentation you would recommend for people who want to get into reverb shaping?

Thank you.
Old 16th July 2016
Gear Head

Hi thanks for the message, my main sequencer of choice is Logic Audio on the Mac. One little cool application that installs with Logic into your utilities folder is an app called "Impulse Response Utility" which is a multi-track audio recording and deconvolution application. You can create your own impulse response files for Space Designer, or any other IR based software reverb. Impulse Response Utility allows you to either use the impulse response recording transients method, or the sine sweep method. I have used both methods depending, the location. If using the Transient method I will use a starter pistol, if I don't have one available I will use something that will generate a similar transient like a shoe hitting the ground. I have often times taken off my shoe and slammed the flat part against the pavement, which creates a very loud pop sound similar to a gun shot. Although its difficult to make a perfect, undistorted recording of a starter pistol shot. This is due to the extremely loud nature of the initial transient of the shot. Another thing to keep in mind about this method is that starter pistol shots contain very little high or low bass frequency information—which, in turn, limits the usable frequency range of the convolved reverb.

The Sine Sweep Method is the best method if you want to really capture a space in greater detail, but requires more setup and gear. If you have a decent portable PA, or set of portable speakers with built in amps, and generally flat response microphones you will get decent results. I have taken out the Genelec 8020B speakers out a few times in places that had power, and sometimes bring out my Bose L1 model 2 with two B2 Subs to capture really large spaces that I want to get a really accurate impulse of. Its really interesting area for sound design, as you can discover lots of interesting things, trying out different sources as impulses.

I have been having a lot of fun using other sources as impulses to come up with new sounds.

1. Metal/Feedback sounds - Using these instead of room impulses, convolutes the frequency amplitude information on to another sound, so the effect is like taking a voice and applying a impulse of a cymbal crash the result is your voice will sound like its playing a metal resonating timbre.

2. White Noise panned in different configurations, this is fun in that you can take say 8 to 10 seconds of white noise panned in zig zag or any pattern you wish. Then converting that to an impulse file. This is really fun on short sounds like snare drums or single hit sounds. What happens is you hear this cool animated decay that moves the verb characteristics around the patterns you automated really neat.

3. Tonal - Another cool trick I like doing is making tonal impulses, like full pads, and held chords. Its neat to run drums, voices or other sounds and give them some tonal convolution processing, really fun to experiment with this.

4. Implied Convolution Rhythms - This technique was discussed and covered in Diego Stucco's "Rhythmic Convolutions-2" library, were you take a rhythm and make a impulse out of a beat on to another one. If you are working in the same BPM, its fun to try various rhythmic impulses on to another beat structure. You can get lots of interesting effects this way.

Rhythmic Convolutions 2 – Diego Stocco

Also here is the online documentation below about Apple's Impulse Utility. There is some great explanations and examples here. :-)

https://documentation.apple.com/en/i...ual%20(en).pdf
Old 23rd July 2016
Here for the gear

I´m so using this... Thanks Richard
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search