The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sound Designer vs Composer
Old 4th July 2016
Lives for gear

Sound Designer vs Composer

Hi Richard,

Could you give us some details on how you manage these two different activity ?

For example :

The time you spend on each. 50/50 or 25/75 etc. ?

How do you imagine or start your music. A "moment" made of sounds : the sounds are made for a clearly predefined goal.

Or the opposite, a composition or a performance is before anything else a sound, a "sound" that evolves over time. And you animate it to create the piece of music you want ?

Or are they very different things for you ? You design sounds and, one day, you use them in a composition if, by any chance, it fits well.

Or maybe, you improvise with your modular (or anything else) and depending on how it goes, it ends as a "to-finish" piece of music or a sound for another project in the future.

Hope it is clear

Thanks in advance

Sami
Old 8th July 2016
Gear Head

Hi Sami, thanks for the message. I pretty much work full time doing sound design stuff during the day, and work on my own music late at night. I would estimate that it would be around 75% sound design work and only 25 to 35% time for music these days. Sometimes when work is slow I am able to get more music time in.

In working on my own compositions, It will always begin differently. Sometimes its based around some field recordings or samples. Other times its a simple melody that triggers an idea. Often I will start out with a sequence, then build things around that. I have been working exclusively on the eurorack modular lately, as I love the flexibility and freedom that you have. With the modular its like starting from scratch every time, and you almost always end up with something new, or venture down a idea you hadn't thought to try, because of a happy accident. Its been a wonderful instrument in that you can create these little environments/spaces that can sometimes compose themselves. Its very organic and unique to sit back and watch it all unfold and play. Many times I will have an idea in my head that I want to try and sometimes I can get something very close in a matter of minutes, other times I struggle and it might take me days to get what I had in mind. With the computer I approach things a little differently, sometimes I start out by making or processing sounds. I will then import the samples into Reaktor or Max/MSP. Look for interesting ways to play them, then I will record little phrases and snippets that I will compose with. Its sort of like audio lego pieces, that I am trying to organize into something bigger. With the computer I have created entire pieces of music which was programmed to a timeline. Where I programmed each audio piece by hand. Other times, I will create a patch similar to what I would do with the modular, but with Reaktor. Then create a little song, that I perform with that particular patch. Its really never the same approach, but based on how I am feeling that day. :-) I record almost every night, and record both computer and modular based compositions all the time. Some tracks are only a few minutes long, and are ideas that I want to fully finish out, others are patch ideas that I write down. With the modular I will spend about 1 to 2 weeks recording a patch if its something I really like. In that I try to capture maybe 5 or 6 performances, then pick my favorite to add to a final folder of tracks, to be released :-)
Old 8th July 2016
Lives for gear

Hi Richard,

Thank you so much for your time and for all the details !
That's really kind of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardDevine View Post
With the computer I approach things a little differently, sometimes I start out by making or processing sounds. I will then import the samples into Reaktor or Max/MSP.
Do you start here like with the modular ? With an empty patch ?

Or do you have some sort of a giant personal patch ready made for all sort of experiments ?

Or maybe, just pick randomly in other patches to make music as quickly as possible and not loose time in sound design again ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardDevine View Post
...then pick my favorite to add to a final folder of tracks, to be released :-)
These days, do you release music when you have enough satisfying tracks ? Then, you look for some label to release them or a release is something planned in advance ? A label has a project, contact you, etc.

Thanks again.

Sami
Old 5th August 2016
Gear Head

Hi Sami, Thanks here is the answer to your questions, :-)

Quote:
Do you start here like with the modular ? With an empty patch ?
I often always start out with an empty patch when working in the studio. That is the best part in my opinion, starting from scratch. As you will never come up with the same thing twice. I also change my module configurations around constantly so I am always focusing on a new set of modules, and trying to learn new things. It never ends :-)

Quote:

Or do you have some sort of a giant personal patch ready made for all sort of experiments ?
I have only one half way prepared patch that I use for my live shows. Its basically in my 12U portable case. I have a base patch that I have been using to play live at festivals over the last two years. I have only changed a few modules out here and there, but have left the patch almost untouched for the most part. I wanted to create a patch that I could use for live performances, that would allow me to improvise and sort of compose on the fly. So I spent about 8 months figuring out what modules would give me the most flexibility and then installed them into this case. I then practiced going through each one creating songs and compositions with them. Its been a great exercise to see how far and long I can make things go, with a limited set of modules.

Quote:
Or maybe, just pick randomly in other patches to make music as quickly as possible and not loose time in sound design again ?
I have been lately making one patch a night and recording a song in one go where I try to create everything within the span of just 2 to 3 hours. Its been fun kicking around new ideas, and you can discover so many new things. I like starting out with nothing then just patching and seeing where it goes. It almost always turns into something interesting, and ventures down a path I would have not thought to go. I have been recording these patches over the last year, and now have around 150 tracks recorded.

Quote:
These days, do you release music when you have enough satisfying tracks ? Then, you look for some label to release them or a release is something planned in advance ? A label has a project, contact you, etc.
I have been thinking a lot about this lately as I have been recording lots of music at night. There is a possibility that these tracks will see a release on the TimeSig label (Planet-Mu). I have enough for almost two albums, I have so many tracks now that I don't know what to do with them, hehe. I might give a bunch of the tracks away for free on Soundcloud/Vimeo as I have been slowly releasing a few at a time lately there. :-)

Last edited by Reptil; 12th August 2016 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: :-)
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search