The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your first contacts with abstract music?
Old 2nd July 2016
Here for the gear

Your first contacts with abstract music?

Hey Richard, thanks for doin this Q&A!

I´m curious about your first contacts with abstract music.

When did this happen and who where your first findings?

Thanks rRizk.
Old 16th July 2016
Gear Head

Hello thanks for the message here. My first introduction to music was via my mom with classical piano at the age of 8. Some of the first composers that struck me were Bach, Debussy, Haydn, and Chopin. My last piano teacher introduced me to the work of Erik Satie. His pieces had such a strange melancholy and really got through to me. It was the first time I’d been interested in hearing and playing more of a certain composer.

I soon got wrapped up into Skateboarding and the music and culture that came along with it. I started listening to a lot of early hip hop and thrash metal. I also got into a lot of early DIY punk bands like (Minor Threat, Youth of Today, etc). I loved the raw energy and aggressiveness that punk music brought. It felt like something within my grasp. Something I could achieve on my own. I loved the idea of being a bedroom or garage producer.

Later, I became fascinated with avant-garde, industrial and noise, techno, electro, early house music. Around the age of 16, I bought my first pair of turntables and started DJing, buying tons of records and then about a year later I thought it’d be really cool to start making music. I was buying a lot of early industrial music, from SPK, Coil, and Meat Beat Manifesto. I remember buying the Meat Beat "MindStream" remixes EP that had a Aphex Twin remix. That was a big turning point for me.

I was lucky enough to inherit a record collection at the age of 17 from a close friend of mine Tim Adams, who was my synthesizer tech at the time. He had an amazing collection of vinyl that he gave me when he moved into his new house. It had everything from Kraftwerk, Stockhausen’s Kontakte, Morton Subotnick’s “Silver Apples, Touch, SideWinder, and The Wild Bull Records. These would forever change my musical focus. I became infatuated by Morton’s work, which to me at the time was revolutionary in terms of the timbres and organic sense of composition. I completely shifted my focus from the current electronic music of the time, and began researching more artist from this period. From here it lead me to the works of John Cage, Hugh Le Caine, and David Tudor. :-)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search