The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Metal bass approach.
Old 5th October 2016
Lives for gear

Metal bass approach.

Hi Rhys,
How have you been approaching bass on FF records, for instance?One clean channel, one distorted?If so, favorite crossover frequencies for the channels?
Do you have any favorite pickup configurations(J bass, Humbuckers, etc) and passive or active?
What do you use for distorting the bass?

Truly yours since the early '90's,

PS:Do you still have that Grave tee?
Old 7th October 2016
Special Guest

Bass, like guitar, has more to do with the player's touch than anything else. A solid player usually ends up with a solid tone. Its usually a different combo of gear for every record but the basic formula is a distorted tone, a clean tone, and sometimes a DI as well for sub. On more recent records I have been using the Sherman Filterbank on bass and it works really well for tight distortion. Of all the FF records, Obsolete was probably our best metal bass sound. We spent a lot of time finding the right combination of elements to get it right. I think it was a Stingray Bass through a Marshall Guvnor pedal for distortion and for 'clean', slightly overdriven Ampeg SVT miked with a large diaphragm condenser mic.

I don't know what happened to all those old T Shirts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin nowhow View Post
Hi Rhys,
How have you been approaching bass on FF records, for instance?One clean channel, one distorted?If so, favorite crossover frequencies for the channels?
Do you have any favorite pickup configurations(J bass, Humbuckers, etc) and passive or active?
What do you use for distorting the bass?

Truly yours since the early '90's,

PS:Do you still have that Grave tee?
Old 7th October 2016
Lives for gear

Old Tees=the story of our lives....
Old 7th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjure.one View Post
Bass, like guitar, has more to do with the player's touch than anything else. A solid player usually ends up with a solid tone. Its usually a different combo of gear for every record but the basic formula is a distorted tone, a clean tone, and sometimes a DI as well for sub. On more recent records I have been using the Sherman Filterbank on bass and it works really well for tight distortion. Of all the FF records, Obsolete was probably our best metal bass sound. We spent a lot of time finding the right combination of elements to get it right. I think it was a Stingray Bass through a Marshall Guvnor pedal for distortion and for 'clean', slightly overdriven Ampeg SVT miked with a large diaphragm condenser mic.

I don't know what happened to all those old T Shirts!
I thought it was an ESP or a Fender.......
So a Marshall Guv'nor into...what?
Old 12th October 2016
Special Guest

SVT Pro 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin nowhow View Post
I thought it was an ESP or a Fender.......
So a Marshall Guv'nor into...what?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search